poppies legal?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mrglock27, Jul 6, 2005.

1. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I found a cool website called lonnies bulk seeds and they sell alot of different poppy seeds. 2- 4 foot varieties. How do you tell which poppies are legal and illegal?

Thank you

2. themamahen

themamahen Well-Known Member

lol I don't think any poppies are illegal- all poppies are capable of making opium- it is how you harvest the pods which all poppies have. good luck

3. Shelly

Shelly Member

I don't know much. But I do know that some people that owned a small nursery by my folks got hauled off to jail for poppies. From what I understand they'd been buying and selling this variety for years and were suddenly busted. My folks felt they were on the up and up. I never did hear what became of the situation, I'll try to remember to ask.

So, if themamahen is right, I don't know how you keep from getting in trouble if the law enforcement is of the mind to bust you.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

let me put it this way... if they were illegal, they wouldn't be selling them on a public website.

there was some controversay a few years ago over poppies. the gov't, with it's usual wisdom, went around busting little old ladies who had the somniferum variety in their front yard. this is the only kind of poppy with even the least possibility of having any pain relieving properties. 99% of the people who grow them didn't know and couldn't care less.

the whole thing was stupid. and frankly made it a lot more difficult, for those of us who actually make and use our own medicinals, to find seeds.

they're still out there, if you know what to look for.

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

This is probably a stupid question, but if people are selling them through a legitimate business, how can they be illegal?

6. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

It's the state flower of Calif. So should they bust Arnold?

7. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

8. mrglock27

thanks for responding i did some research on the net. Papaver Somniferum
    is the one that is used for opium production and is sold on alot of websites california's is not somniferum. I e-mailed that company and asked them if they were illegal in the U.S.A. they did not answer me yes or no they said check with my local extensoin office. Just cuz they sell them on the net doesn't mean they are legal. There are hundreds of sites selling thousands of strains of marijuana seeds and it's illegal to possess viable marijuana seeds in the U.S.A.

thanks everyone

9. mrglock27

california's state flower is eschscholtzia californica and does not contain opium. Jim Hohshire, the author of opium for the masses was arrested at his home by seattle police (over a dozen). for possessing dried poppy plants and other drugs. WA state law says it is illegal to possess "poppy straw" which is any part of the poppy plant except the seeds. So I guess they can legally sell the seeds but legally you cannot grow them.

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I thought it was just the white poppies that had the most opiet(sp?) in it.
    And if you got caught with the white ones you got 'the chair.'

11. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I couldn't say about today, but about 5 years ago I foung hemp seeds at the local Agway in NH. It was being sold as animal feed.

On a side note, our farm is crawling with ditch weed. We are pulling it up as fast as we can, but it keeps coming back. The rabbits love it.

12. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Hemp Seed sold as feed in the US is supposed to be heat-treated and sterile.

Some years ago when I was racing pigeons I bought hemp as a means of taming the birds. Supposedly they so liked the seed that they would get over their fear of man in order to get at the hemp. Never could tell much difference in the birds' temperament, but they did seem to like hemp.
    Ox

13. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not illegal to have or sell the seeds -- after all, P. somniferum are also known as Breadseed Poppies 'cause they grow the little black seeds we use in cooking. I also thought it was legal to have the dried seed heads (used decoratively); you just can't grow the plants. That's why you'll find the seeds for sale on the net and in catalogs and it's perfectly legal. But why you'd buy seeds from a seed co. and not be able to plant them is beyond me.

One of our local Hutterite colonies (religious sect) has jumped through all the DEA hoops and can grow the plants and so, sell the seeds.