Poplar Lumber uses

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaJohn, Oct 10, 2004.

1. BamaJohn

BamaJohn Member

I have approximately 700 board ft of poplar lumber to play with. Have a few ideas but would like any suggestions on uses for it. It is all 8 ft long and 1/2 " thick. Widths range from 6 to 12" , mostly 10" . Thought about porch swings,chairs,rabbit boxes.chicken nests , siding,etc. Any ideas welcome.

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Poplar is pretty soft for furniture, if I remember right. It could make attractive siding for rabbit hutches, or maybe support structure inside upholstered furniture. Make bird houses and sell them at the fair. You could laminate the boards to make thick planks and turn them into lamps, candle holders, or bed posts. It could be milled into molding for a special trim around your windows and doors. How about tongue and groove wainscotting and chair rail?

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It is soft, strong. easy to work with, holds up to weather very well, and takes a nice finish.
    Don't waste it on a rabbit hutch. You could make some very nice things with it. If you aren't up to making furniture you might get some paterns and make fancy bird houses that people have up for decorations.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We used green sawn poplar to make interior lambing pen gates. As it dries it gets hard but if nailed together green the wood shrinks around the nails making it very tight and strong. They don't weather well without an oil stain or similar.

5. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

I've got quite a bit of Poplar too. I'm going to use it for trim. It looks quite good with a light stain. I've used it outdoors but its not the greatest.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

It will weather fine=As long as it is standing upright like on the sides of barns.Not strong in the long run (like if hit hard with something,or kicked by horse /cow.) But it will not rot off in your lifetime.If it touches the ground it rotes same as pine,maybe faster.If you lay it flat or use like lap siding it will be rotten in a couple of years most. Sealing it will make it last much longer.
    By the way it turns ugly brown color quick(gray in a couple of years)!Unless you coat it with a colored stain.

My moms barn is covered with cull popular from the saw mill i worked for,for 5 years.Its is holding up great with a light colored stain on it.Note it doesn't touch the ground.Frame work that touches the ground is red oak!

To be specific with our weather here a 4x4 mail box post will rote off and fall over in 1.5 years! Takes about as long for a pick nick table to fall apart!
    The reason i used popular instead of oak was that this popular was completely purple in color. (From minerals in the ground,where the trees grew.)I was hopeing some one would come up with a way to preserve the color.But no one i new ever did. :(
    That stuff was beautiful! Would have made beautiful furniture if you could stop it from turning brown.In case your wondering. Its fairly common to see a purple colored log here every once and a while.Not from metal in it,just from the ground minerals.I assume iron ore.

7. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

My wife and I bought a modular house for our lot. We bought it without kitchen cabinets and made our own. We framed the doors with poplar. It is a great wood to work. Harder than pine and softer than birch or maple.

8. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

My fil used poplar to make tongue-in-groove paneling for his finished basement. He stained it a very light color, almost more like a clear coat than a stain. It was beautiful.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Poplar is one of the preferred woods for making cabinet drawer sides and backs. Half inch stock is what is normally used.

10. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Hay Bama,

You could be setting on quite a lot of money. Has it been sanded? If it has, go to yahoo group’s type in wood burning you will be surprised on how much you can get by selling it by the foot.
    John#4

11. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Before reading this thread I didn't realize poplar was good for anything but quick burning firewood. We've got a lot of it in our woodlot, some of it 16 to 20 inches on the butt. Guess I ought to look into draggin a few out to the sawmill.

12. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

I made a table out of it for my son's Thomas the tank engine trains. Now I've replaced the legs and it's a computer table. It's 1x3 construction 4 legs and a ply wood top, pretty strong, It currently has a computer and a bunch of stuff piled up on it.

-- Tim