Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about growing some popcorn this year, what varieties do others grow?

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
We've planted some for several spaced-out years. I can't remember which variety but we kept seeds to replant in later years. This year I bought some heirloom mini blue popcorn and can't wait to try it.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
I grew some yellow popcorn, years ago. I wouldn't waste my time on novelty popcorn. Fairly straight forward. Don't grow it near other corn. Shell by hand. I had a dozen glass peanut butter jars, but quart mason jars would work. Fill with popcorn and wait. Take a sample and pop it. If it just puffs up, like puffed wheat, still too damp. As soon as you get a sample that fully pops, seal the jars to maintain that moisture level.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
I grew strawberry popcorn once. Tiny little puffs of corn but the hulls were not near as bad as regular popcorn and it was pretty tasty.

If I was going to grow popcorn again I would grow one of those colorful Indian corn varieties. People pay good money for those shucked ears so they can use them as autumn ornaments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts