Popcorn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jim&Chele, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

Whats is the low down on raising popcorn.Is there anything special one should do or don't do when raising a few rows of it?I am a member of the Wilson County Old Iron Club and we put on a show the last weekend in Sept. We do Thursday and Friday for area school kids(we had approx. 1200 last year and looking at 2000 in 2006).We had out popcorn we pop over a open fire and was thinking about growing alittle to help with the cost of buying it.Even if someone had some seed they would sell or donate,please contact me.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in the midwest, growing popcorn is no different than other corn. The problem will be getting it dry enough to pop in September.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't plant it near any other kind of corn, as the cross pollination can effect the seed and the popping quality. By near I mean a quarter mile or less.

4. outdoorsy

outdoorsy Member

How long does it need to dry? Any special process?

5. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I left mine in the garden untill we were supposed to get a heavy frost. I had let it set through a couple light frosts. I picked, shelled and put in a mason jar. I had a better popping rate than most microwave kinds.

I grew blue popcorn last year and am adding red and yellow to the mix. When you shell the popcorn, the seeds will be colored but will pop white. The blue popcorn last year was the best tasting popcorn I have had in a long time!!! I got the blue from Menards and the red and the yellow from Ace but Campbell's Supply had them as well.

HTH

Carrie in SD

6. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

I'd love to try growing popping corn, but I really want my sweet corn...maybe someday down the road, I'll try the popping!

Good luck!

7. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

For real on the quarter mile or less?