Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, let's post your best special pop corn flavoring/popping preferences and your hot chocolate recipes.

We're using packets because we had someone give us some and also found a tremendous sale that was very cheap per serving... but we like home made. What's your secret recipe.

We found a popcorn popper made by Westbend. We've got an air popper, but the Westbend (it's like a "Stir Crazy" type without the stirrer, which is fine with me) actually pops every kernel (or just about everyone). I've eaten three bowls made with it and have yet to have an upopped kernel in it. It's AMMMMAAAAZZZZIIIIINNNNGGGGG!

Amy tried adding a little garlic powder to the oil (for popping, but that didn't work too well). I had it with just salt.

Popcorn popped in a microwave just tastes so flat to me (or so chemically enhanced too...)

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
We make popcorn in a hot-air popper. It's better for you than the old-fashioned kind popped in oil on the stove.

Normally, I make hot air popped corn, drizzle it with a VERY little bit (like a tablespoon) of melted butter, and then shake some parmesan cheese and a little cracked black pepper over it. DH loves this.

Another good one (if you like things a little spicier) is to drizzle it with a VERY little bit of butter and then shake on chili powder, a bit of garlic powder, and salt.

Okay, now I'm getting hungry for popcorn....

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I hate popcorn unless it's a popcorn ball.....so I never make it but once a year when making the carmel balls.

I love hot chocolate. I use Swiss miss packet but add heavy cream and mix and then add whipped cream on top.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hmm we either put about a quarter cup corn in a lunch bag & put it in the microwave or in a dutch oven pan on the stove with a good amount of oil and let her rip.
Sometimes I have too many unpopped kernals so its not perfect yet. But a good amount of butter and some brewers yeast or parmesan shonuff helps!
Now Im hungry for popcorn dog gone it why did you have to post this!

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
We air pop our popcorn for the most part (I buy organic popcorn in bulk). We put a decent amount of butter on our popcorn, a handful of brewers yeast, and a dash of salt, very yummy!

For our hot chocolate we use 3 cups of milk, 1/4 cup of cocoa, 1/4 cup of sugar, splash of vanilla, and sprinkled cinnamon - maybe a dash of nutmeg if I'm making it but for the most part our 12 year old makes all of our hot cocoa.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I don't do much with popcorn, pop it on the stove and salt it. Now for my hot chocolate, I'll add a bit of almond extract, tastes like amaretto or peppermint extract. But becareful with the peppermint, you can add too much and it doesn't taste real good.
grandma chicken in NE Indiana

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Another good one (if you like things a little spicier) is to drizzle it with a VERY little bit of butter and then shake on chili powder, a bit of garlic powder, and salt.

QUOTE]

I do basically the same thing but I mix it into the melted butter then distribute it evenly over the popcorn. I also add a pinch of cayenne pepper if it's just me as I like it with a little extra heat.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I gave DH a stove top popper years ago, and it's still going strong. He puts in some raw coconut oil, then the popcorn, then pops it while one of the kids melts down some butter. He dumps it all in a big bowl, I think seasonings first sea salt, nutritional yeast, garlic and if we have it parmesan cheese, then the melted butter. Don't ask how much, I don't know and I think he just eyeballs everything anyway.

Chocolate milk: I usually use coconut milk, one can milk to 2 cans water, other wise I use just all whole milk (usually goat), heat through to steaming, then add chocolate and sugar, usually I use powdered chocolate, but on those special days I'll use semi-sweet chocolate chips which melt down and make a very rich creamy hot chocolate, then a bit of vanilla at the end. I don't measure either, just eyeball it and taste to make sure I have enough of both. Another thing I do to stretch the chocolate chips, if I have them on hand is to do a 1:1 ratio of powdered chocolate:chocolate chips. Also, every once in a while I'll do a shake of cinnamon in the milk as it's heating before I add the chocolate. OH,and for the adults, I've put Amaretto, Kahlua, or Baily's in it as well, with wonderful results.

I think I'll try the Andi's chocolates this year as well...or get some tiny peppermint candies to float in the cups. I have a friend that likes to drink her hot cocoa through a cinnamon stick, never tried that, but who knows it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts