Pop bottle nipples

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cat, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Several years ago I was able to purchase some pop bottle nipples that were by far the best nipple I have ever used. It is similar to the regular tough-as-nails black latex however these are much (much much much) more pliable, rather than having the X in the top it is simple a very small round hole, and the color is a salmon or dark burnt-orangey color. I have one left that I have saved because I just can't stand to part with my last one, but it's torn slightly and really shouldn't be used. At any rate, I would have gotten this at Caprine Supply here in KS or perhaps Midstates Wool here in KS, but neither, from what I can gather, still carry them. Is anyone familiar with this nipple and know where I can find them? I have tried the Pritchert (sp?) and don't much care for it, and I'm violently opposed to the black nipples because they're just too much work for a newborn. I have also seen clear latex and they get pulled off the bottle too easily once the lamb (yep, exposed as a lamb need rather than a kid need) is a week old. So, I'm hoping that someone is familiar with this type of nipple and might know where I can find them! I appreciate any help!

Thanks! :eek:)

2. Tricia Smith

Tricia Smith Member

3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks Tricia,

Sadly none on that website are what I'm hoping to find. The clear is a "control flow" nipple, the black are gum, I guess? Anyway, at least now I know how to better explain what I'm looking for! Thanks for the link, I appreciate the help!

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks Stacy ~ no luck!! lol I just can't believe that these things aren't all that popular. Granted, I realize Pritchard have become more popular as well as using lamb-bar (caprine) feeders but I just really like these nipples and think they're the next best thing to momma. Oh well, thanks for the link!! I appreciate it!

Here's a photo!! A milky photo...just fed the baby. lol

[​IMG]

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Catherine what kind of goats do you raise that they can't nurse from a lambar nipple?

Gosh I hate having to get that type of nipple you are using on the bottle, if your hands are wet they fly across the kitchen when you try to put it over the mouth of the bottle. I will never go back to that style, and love that the lambar nipples simply press on! You can also insert a hole or needle into them so they don't colapse down your soda bottle, course I move them to a bucket before they can do that. Even my tiny Nubian kids here take the lambar nipples for their colostrum. Vicki

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Hi Vicki,

Actually I don't have goats right now. I'm feeding a lamb that was born and I orphaned last night due to being a triplet and the fact that momma hadn't acknowledged him and didn't clean him off. I had to bring the little ram lamb in the house to dry him off and warm him up. I left the two ewe lambs on their mother as I prefer them to be raised on mom's milk. The difference between a lamb-bar nipple and the type I use is amazing, IMO. These are so much more pliable and soft that the lamb isn't wasting energy unnecessarily and they're not choking. Lambs get choked sooo easily. I don't mind using this type of nipple, I prefer it! These go on a lot easier than the black gum nipples, and I've been using the pop bottle nipples since I was a kid myself! I still use the glass coke bottles unless I'm feeding a passel of lambs but I haven't done that in a few years ~ I usually take on orphans from a friend's sheep farm. I've only had to orphan 3 of my own lambs 2 of which were from a set of quads. I guess personal preference is the only reason I do it this way, I enjoy feeding them and chit-chatting with them while they eat. I called Caprine Supply today hoping that they would remember the type I bought and was told that they still carry it although in a new color! I'm going to place an order and hope that they are indeed the same quality/design. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

8. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I know this is not what you are wanting but I have nigerian and mini lamanchas and I love using the (real) kids platex nursers with the throw away plastic inserts. The nipples are great for tiny kids/and or lambs and I son't have to wash bottles :)

9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks Sondra!

I think these would work on young lambs but once they got their sea-legs under them so to speak they'd probably tear them up right quick! A good healthy eater is a disaster to nipples.