Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be first.
we were so poor one year that we got nothing but yesterdays leftover biscuits. (bisquick - yuck) We were told to be thankful . But we were not.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I never remember thinking of a "poor" Christmas. I'm sure times were hard some of those years, but it never occurred to me that we were poor. Maybe two toys under the tree, a new toothbrush in my stocking, family vacations to my grandfather's fishing cabin. Didn't everyone live like that?

Blue

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I remember the year my stepfather was diagnosed with a terminal illness was the hardest. I was 9 years old with a 1 year old baby brother.

For Christmas that year I got a Barbie that came with a free tape (Barbie and the Rockers :bouncy:) and a small thing of real blue eyeshadow (which I'm sure was some my mom bought herself but gave it to me so I'd have something -- she wore blue eyeshadow, I was like 9 years old so I just pretended to wear blue, lol).

My great-grandmother always gave us stockings every year too. They'd be made out of the plastic that her daily newspaper came in. It would have nuts; small peppermints; apples; and oranges in it. Her father did the same for her when she was growing up (like in 1910+).

We were all poor but I never knew it. My whole family lived on the same street so as kids we just had fun. We never really focused on what we didn't have. We had just enough and I'm thankful for it all.

~Ashley

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
We never had stockings, I always wished we did my neighbor did and she always got the coolest stuff in hers. But i never remember it being bad, Christmas was always special growing up and I always appreciated everything I got.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The only thing I remember about our poorest Christmas was having to stay with our grandparents. Grandma made me eat broccoli. :eek: I like it now, but that was my first - and nearly my last - encounter with it.

Christmas was postponed because my mother was in the hospital. At the time - I was 5 - I didn't know she was near to dying.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I don't remember ever having a "poor" christmas - usually my parents went over-the-top with gifts (tv's, french provincial bedroom furniture, a 3-wheeler ATV, etc). Maybe it's because they had some very poor Christmases as kids. The story that sticks in my mind is of my fathers. One year there was only one gift under their Christmas tree, a toy cap gun for him. Nothing more. He remembers that year as one of great love and sacrifice by his mom so she could get her youngest child one gift.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
We were poor but really didnt know it, because we really werent any different than any one around us, we always had mittens and hand made things. I dont rememeber alot of toys. I do remember one yr getting a spirograph set and loved it and one of my last Christmas at home getting ice skates. We didnt have the best of anything but we werent hungry and we always had clothes, by looking back at some of them pictures, shows how poor we were.But it made me who I am today

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
my family had some hard times, (failed business, etc) but I never ever remember KNOWING that we were in dire straights...maybe I was just too young and starry eyed to notice.

I do remember our stockings (daddy's unused work socks) being filled with:
a) an apple
b) an orange
c) and walnuts in the shell
d) and a peppermint candy cane

I know lots of our gifts came directly from the Green Stamp Store but I never remember thinking anything of it. :shrug: or being "disappointed". Whatever there was -always seemed to be so much with seven of us in the house.

The focus was on the Christ child and His miraculous birth - not on ourselves or gifts. Our home was filled with music and love and laughter and for us, that was more than enough.
ALL of our gifts came from the Green Stamp Store and Western Auto (where Daddy could buy on credit). Our stockings were also filled with an apple, an orange, nuts in the shell and a candy cane.

We were only allowed to ask for two gifts...a "big" one and a "small" one. A big gift might be a baby doll and a small gift would be something like a book or inexpensive toy like baby bottles for the doll. There would also be a surprise for all three of us kids to share...a game, one year a chalk board, a craft set, etc.

A lot of our toys were homemade. Mama would make us matching outfits for Christmas, or stuffed animals, etc. I still have the Raggedy Ann Doll she made me for Christmas when I was 13.

I guess, compared to what kids expect these days, all our Christmases were "poor" but it never occured to us that they were. We were happy with what we got cause Mama and Daddy made sure we got the two things we asked for every year.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I really dont remember, but I'm pretty sure it was my first Christmas. I was 9 months old. In the pictures I'm sitting next to a couple of those linking toys for babys (maybe 5 of them and now you can buy like 20 for 3 dollars), a little baby piano, and a little rocking chair. My parents and I lived in a trailer in my grandmothers front yard.

My poorest Christmas as an adult was our first one after we were married, 2001. DH and I had agreed not to buy each other anything. I snuck out and bought him a civil war calendar for 12 dollars and he found a sterling silver bracelet for 7 dollars on clearance at kmart on Christmas Eve. That calendar hung in his study for years and that bracelet is my most treasured and most worn piece of jewelry (besides my wedding band)

·
Registered
751 Posts
A lot of our Christmases, us girls got a doll and the boys got a truck or something like that. But it wasn't until I was grown up that I found out that most all our toys were hand-me-downs. Mom and grandma cleaned them up and even made an extra dress for the doll. I only remember being happy. And getting to stay up late to go to midnight Mass. My Mom was the organist.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I never considered myself poor. My oldest sister and I had a doll under the tree and it was put there by Santa Claus. We were so excited that we had a visit from Santa that we would not have care if it had been an apple or orange.

SGG-Jan

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Oh, I remember the Green Stamp store, too. Definitely a place for Christmas gifts. My mom gave each of us an empty Green Stamp booklet. She arranged contests and challenges for all the children to earn Green Stamps (recite the books of the Bible in order, OT & NT, recite the beatitudes, recite a favorite poem, read aloud a favorite passage from a book etc) and we were allowed to redeem the booklets for whatever prizes we wanted. I honestly didn't realize we were poor - thought everyone drank tea for breakfast and water for dinner - and only later found out there was no money for milk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I was about nine or ten I received a package of flower shaped soaps from the dollar store for Christmas. That's all. I'd like to say I was thrilled, but I really wasn't. However, I knew money was tight, so I pretended they were exactly what I always wanted.

Before my grandmother died, she would always get each child a small gift for Christmas. One year my grandfather had my grandmother hide the "real" gifts and gave each of us a small wrapped package that contained a lump of coal. One of my sisters cried, but I was actually pretty excited about that lump of coal. I thought it was hysterical and showed it to everyone. :)

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Most of our Christmas's were poor I suppose but like most they never seemed to be . we always got one present and it was always treasured .
stockings always had an apple or organge a few nuts and maybe some cookies .
I dont ever recall feeling poor .
I think far too many put way too much emphasis on "Presents".
Our girls got two gifts each this year one from mom and dad (some ertl farm aminals ,fencing ,and a barn , actually out of our collection thats been in storage for years) and one each from Santa the eldest a remote controlled T rex. The youngest a robot dog . so far the ertl farms have been attacked by the TRex and the robot chased it off numerous times.
I fully understand the fear of disappointing your children on Christmas morning. I also understand that most children are happier with one or two "good toys" than a dozen others especially if mom and dad will spend time playing with them .

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
I don't remember the gifts, but I know that there weren't many of them. With eight kids, there wasn't much to spend on presents.

But there was always lots of food, and our mother was an AMAZING cook! When I think of the Christmases of my childhood, I remember the food, the awe I felt looking at the lit Christmas tree in a darkened room (I still feel that way and resist taking down the tree each year :) ) and my family around me.

Nope -- we were pretty poor money-wise, but I still say we were far richer than my friends who got more gifts than they could remember. Christmas was about the joy of being together -- not what was left under the tree with our name on it.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I wanted a Bride Doll. Preferably a Walking Bride Doll.

I got a Bride Doll, but it didn't walk. It was one of my old dolls dressed up in bride clothes - not very well-made bride clothes at that (poor Mum never did learn to sew!). Did Santa REALLY think I wouldn't recognise one of my own beloved dolls??

I was only about 6 at the time, but I knew then, without a shadow of a doubt, that Santa wasn't real. Somehow, Santa and recycling just don't go together. :Bawling:

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
As the youngest child from a family of six, our Christmas was usually poor... though it never felt like that. Our family never did the Santa thing.

We got one gift, and possibly another from a close family friend.

I remember one year there was no gift... just a stocking containing a few dollar store type items. But each one was wrapped (in newspaper) and I made those gifts last all day.. I unwrapped one and then played with it for a while and then opened another, etc. I thought it was pretty cool at the time :D

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
My dad died when I was five. My mom dropped out of school in eighth grade to help the family, so the only jobs she could get were the most unskilled labor, poor paying jobs.

There were a couple of years when we didn't get anything at all and several years when the only thing we got was a stocking from "Santa" with an apple, an orange, some nuts in the shell and ribbon candy. In the "good" years, we got the stocking and one gift from "Santa", nothing from Mom or each other. Even the Santa gifts were not really big or expensive things.

That's one of the reasons I've made it a point in my adult life to contribute to charities that concentrate on kids for Christmas. I remember what a horrible feeling it was watching all the other kids showing off their presents and the embarrassment when they asked "What did you get?" I don't think any child should have to have that feeling when they're too young to understand why.

My son always had a decent Christmas, but I made sure there was money for needy kids too. During a few really lean years for me, since he's been an adult, I spent what little money I could come up with on the charity gifts and none on him...he understood. In good years, I spend $1,000 or more. This year was a good year. :)

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
Ican't really come up with poor Christmas stories, I know we have had it rough, but we always had a Christmas dinner. I think we got some toys from Salvation Army one year or something like that. I cannot complain about anything we didn't have in life, because of the many things we DID have. Clothes on our backs, and food in our bellies, the chance to go halfway around the world to live in Germany for three years. To see how Germans do Christmas makes ours here pale in comparison.
Now, My lowest Christmas was as a young adult on my own. just didn't have the money to get anyone ANYTHING. I was always on the receiving end. I'm thankful today to have been able to get something for my Dad, Mom, Brother, SIL, EX-SIL, Nephew, and Stepdad. God has been good to me. That's the first time I have been able to do anything so extensive. I was able to spend 25 bucks on each person, except the nephew, he's 6, so he'll get a little less than the adults. ExSIL got 20
MMichelleIL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts