poor planning! Tall plants in beds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jenn, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

As I go through my list of soon to plant, and consider the seeds I have and are en route, I realise that (aside from needing about twice as many raised beds) of my 6 current beds 1 is empty, 1 has space at the north end for asparagus (tall shading plant), but the other 4 have something growing in the N end where tall crops like tomatos and cukes ought to go. Time for some better planning and maybe even sorting out if I can move/harvest some of the N end crops in time.

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Jenn, how about some more info. What directions are the beds facing? What types of veggies are you trying to grow? Are any of the beds near a fence or wall that they could grow up?

3. Jenn

Hi MTM. 10' axis along N-S, 3' width on EW. Far from all fences. But I may make my next few beds next to the house and porch on E side of house. No convenient place except out in open area by NS beds to place a long EW bed. Most of my fence is shaded and is only 4' high- plan to put grapes and flowering vines later after veg up and running.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

5. Mid Tn Mama

I may be wrong but I don't think you will have too much problem because even if you have something tall in the middle, you will have enough sunlight before and after noon to give enough light for every thing (six hours is optimum).

If you are really worried, plant those pepper plants where it's a tiny bit shady--they can roast down here. Or plant tall plants like corn on one end and leave the shorter things on the other end.

If it were me, I'd put some trellises down the middle for peas, then beans and beans and grow squashes on the sides to grow off into the grass off the beds.

What do you want to grow?

6. Jenn

Well I just did my top EW aligned bed today before reading MTM's post. Yes, maybe I should be GLAD of some shade...

So what I'm going to do is N

. . . tomatos-bed-- > . . . bed1 . bed2 . bed3 . bed4 . bed5 . bed6
    . . . peppers--7----> . . . mix . . pep . . mix . . mix . . mix . . asp
    W . . <----EW bed--> . . . mix . . per . . mix . . mix . . mix . . ara . . . E
    . (walkway) . . . . . . . . . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . gus
    . . . cucumbers-bed-> . . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . strw
    . . . otherstuff--8--> . . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . bry
    . . . <----EW bed--> . . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . mix . . bed

like this if it lines up properly- 3x10 ft beds, 8 of them.

7. Jenn

with trellises at the N side of the two EW beds

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

been gardening for 40 years and I don't worry too much about tall plant/short plant arrangement.If planted in rich soil with mulch to retain water things will do well. Down here in hot humid MO we delibertly plant somethings in the shade as gets too hot by June for things like lettuce,spinach,greens,etc. I like my garden all jumbled up--flowers,herbs,veggies--confuses the bugs!!!!! If I'm planting a long term thing like asparagus I'd be more worried about deep soil prep and how I'm gonna keep the weeds out..that crop ip and done with long before summer anyhow. DEE

9. Mid Tn Mama

You need to also think about planting so that when something is done, you can immediately put something else in. Or, plant lettuce at the same time you put your brocolli in. Put the lettuce all around the brocolli. As the brocolli grows larger it will shade the lettuce just as it's getting too hot for lettuce. It means there is less open space for weeds. Very efficient.

Companion planting. Green beans love strawberries, corn provides shade to cucumbers, and fast-maturing radishes grow well in between slower-growing carrots.