Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Lab we have is allergic to anything remotely poultry - chicken, eggs, turkey, duck, etc. The Basset eats raw chicken switched off with kibble (that also has poultry products in it). The Pyr eats raw venison, kibble and occasionally raw chicken (he prefers the first two). The Lab eats raw venison and a fish based kibble with no poultry products in it.

Normally he has no allergies in the winter but this year they have been TERRIBLE. I've caught him outside a few times eating poopsicles and there are plenty of other times where he's outside for no apparent reason but I don't catch him. Then he comes in later looking like he's eaten. :doh: Could the chicken based poopsicles be giving him an allergic reaction???????? :doh: I've been trying to get out there regularly and keep them cleaned up but we have snow on top of snow on top of snow and he can find them quicker than I can, esp those that have gotten buried. Ack!!!!! We've used that stuff you add to the food before (Forbid or something like that) but never had any luck with it then and that was when they weren't even frozen. The allergy medicine isn't even marginally covering the reaction he's been having lately! Ack!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I don't know why he wouldn't react. The body doesn't use all of anything we eat, so some of it is passed. I've never had luck with forbid except one time I fed it to my cats to keep my dog from cleaning out the litter box. That was when I was a teenager.

Poopsicles! eww! I don't know what to tell you to do about it though.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I suppose it *is* possible. I'd be tempted to try everyone on the same venison and the fish kibble for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference.

Another possibility is that he also has some environmental allergies (possibly to things found indoors that can concentrate this time of year with the house shut up). Environmental allergies tend to worsen each year, so that may be why you didn't notice them previous winters.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Our dog reacts to corn. His own food is corn-free, and we try to keep the cat food away from him, which has corn.

Unfortunately, he often finds cat poo outside, and loves to snack on it. When he does, he gets terrible stinky gas. We are assuming that the poo is the culprit.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose it *is* possible. I'd be tempted to try everyone on the same venison and the fish kibble for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference.
That's worth a try, Sarah. If his allergies continue to get worse that doesn't bode well for his health. I'm not sure how much more stuff I can get him away from. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts