Poop problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reauxman, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

My kid's poop has been very runny and green today. Nothing has changed except the fact that I began putting some baking soda in his bottles(little bit, as per the breeder's instrucion). He also has beun eating grass the past day or so. He ade 3 weeks yesterday. He is getting the same milk. 3 bottles, about 15 Oz per day. He was pooping fine yesterday.

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

How much grass did the little guy eat? Fresh, juicy, spring grass? That's a strong possibility for green diarrhea.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Yep, it's probably the grass that set him off. I'd get him back down to just his bottles for a couple of days and dose him with some kaopectate to stop the diarhea.

When his poops are back to normal you might try introducing him to hay before introducing the fresh grass. Hay is easier for them to digest. Also make sure his belly is full before putting him on pasture so he doesn't gorge himself.

4. Reauxman

He hasn't eaten more than a few pices of grass. He does not stay on pasture, he eats his bottle and nibbles a few pieces of small grass, and then goes ack to sleep in the house. He lives a sheltered goat life...lol. He doesn't even mess wih hay.

5. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi RooMan,

I don't know where you are located or how much of a problem you have with parasites or other bacterial problems. We don't have the need for baking soda as some folks do so we don't have experience with feeding it. From the wide spread use and no comments about scours that I see on the web, I doubt that this would be the cause. Here in southern Tennessee, 3 weeks might not be too early for worms or Coccidiosis (Coocidiosis a little more probably than worms). Other bacterial problems could be the culprit also. I don't know the particulars of your area, but the bacterial may be the most likely - emphasize may. A fecal sample test could eliminate or prove the worm/Coccidiosis possibility.

For bacterial problems, we use Biosol with good results here. If it were worms, the fecal sample tests would indicate which wormer to use. If it is Coccidiosis, we use 12.5% Sulfadimethoxine given at 1 1/2 tablespoon per day for five days. Sulfadimethoxine may not readily be available at your local farm store. Many folks use Sulmet which usually is readily available. We have used Sulmet this year as a water additive and it seems to have been beneficial in our preventative program. We have found Corid effective for Coccidiosis in calves, but not very effective in goats.

The scours is a symptom and the cause needs to be addressed. However, the scours is serious in itself because it can take a kid down quickly with dehydration. As one poster said some Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol would be a good thing to help get the scours under control.

As you said, the poop was runny, so I wouldn't delay with a 3 week old kid.

I hope that this helps some.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN

6. Reauxman

I am in SE Louisiana. This morning eveything was back to normal. He does get de-cox once a day in his bottle pe breeders instruction. I will keep a close eye and take the preautions yall have given and hopefully will continue to give.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Roo

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

He isn't too young for you to start worming. It's simply eaiser to worm every 21 days with your infant stock than to run fecals. Green diarrhea is probably nutritional, a cold bottle? You aren't using milk replacer are you :) ?? The Deccox M is a wonderful idea, I used it the first time this year, and I love it! As long as he is getting enough and drinking the whole bottle you give it to him in, than he is covered for cocci, plus cocci poop is black from the blood being passed. Your first thing to do always with diarrhea is to give probiotics. Just put a small amount on your finger and swipe it through his mouth. I keep Probios Plus brand from Jeffers in the fridge and use it all the time on my kids. I use it on infants the first several days, when I worm, when I change pens.

Other than my blackberry eater, the only green diarrhea I have seen is on broker does who get moved from dry lots to our woods, even with lots of good hay they simply get this explosive diarrhea from the change of diet. It goes away on it's own.

But I would start him on a worming program, might want to ask the breeder what she is having luck with on her farm. You may find that you can't use Ivermectin (I don't use it on kids anyway) because she is resistant, and remember you brought her herd with you in this buckling. I would at least worm it once or twice with a white wormer for tapes, then onto Cydectin orally for stomach worms as he gets older and does start eating on pasture. My baby goats rarely eat hay until older, now they will nibble on grain, but really don't start EATING until about 8 weeks, I don't count nibbling as eating. You can then find a good, with hopefully not all byproducts, a good grain that contains deccox and ammonium chloride to move him onto, so he is still on Deccox once you wean him around 12 weeks. Follow the directions on the bag as to how much he needs to eat of the pellet to have enough of the bloodlevel of deccox. Also make sure you are wieghing him to increase the Deccox M in his bottle soon! Vicki