Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you, when away for a few days, leave the pool gates locked so any trespassers have to scale a spiked fence (and if emergency services has to retrieve anyone they'll be cutting my fence since the neighbor with the key is not too handy), or leave the gates closed (should keep out small children) but unlocked so any naughty teens and the EMS if they get into trouble (and anyone before us or neighbor coming by with key finds them) can get in without trouble...? I never worried about it when we're gone for the day, and trespassers are pretty unlikely but we'd rather swimmers than swimmers or drown victims locked in....

DH says we would be MORE liable if gates were unlocked. What do you all think? Should I ask my insurance company?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'd lock the gates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have an in ground pool and have the a 6' privacy fence around 1/4 acre of our property, with 3-gates and when we're not home I put a lock on each gate, for that very reason, liability. Fortunately (so far) we haven't had any problems!! We have a million dollar insurance rider on our home owners insurance, specifically for the pool. Our insurance guy didn't mention locks. I put them on to make entry more difficult.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When we insured our home, they said they didn't cover trampolines or pools. We only had one of those with the inflatable top rings that was about 3' deep and they allowed that. The agent said that if you have a pool you need special coverage for it, a 6' privacy fence with locking gates, floodlights, and a pool water motion alarm at a minimum! We no longer have any pool but we added the 6' privacy fence with locking gates and we now have a trampoline that only family and invited friends get to use.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
In a lot of places here they HAVE to be locked, by law.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I worked part time as an insurance surveyor representing many companies.
If there was a pool I had to take pictures of the locked gates and measure the fences and take pictures again.
Chas

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Lock with a combination lock, and leave your cell phone number in idelible ink on a sign by the lock. EMS can call you for the combo.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
your DH is correct...lock the gates!

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts
Meg Z said:
Lock with a combination lock, and leave your cell phone number in idelible ink on a sign by the lock. EMS can call you for the combo.
As a retired Firefighter/EMT I assure you a locked gate is only a momentary inconvenience. We would have been through the gate (if necessary) before you got the cell phone number dialed. Unless you spent a LOT of money on a lock. BTW...going in that way was more fun and good practice too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts