Pond Mill needed for winter

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BJ, Nov 19, 2004.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Do they still make those pond mills that sit in a pond to keep the ice from freezing? We have seen parts to some at farm auctions..but don't see any "on-line" for sale at any farm stores. We have a concrete waterer in the pond dam...but we are still concerned that cows & calves will walk out on frozen pond if some of it is not open for drinking. Our other option is to fence...we don't want anything to fall through the ice this winter. We're wondering what our best option would be. This is our first winter with cows & calves...hoping for a good experience.

2. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Go to google and look up " pond or lake airators" We had some fish books here at one time, that had several companys that make them. Hope this helps.

Ken in Minn

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

BJ, I would be extremely nervous about such a set up. To start with, these areators must be in deeper water. They usually only keep a small portion of a pond clear. This means that the cattle will need to walk out on the ice to get to the water. Just MHO, but I would just fence the pond out, and find another way to water your critters.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

BJ, I'm inclined to agree with Tinknal. If your pond is much bigger than a wagon box, it will be near impossible to keep the whole surface thawed. Fence it, and buy yourself a good axe to chop a hole in the ice every morning where the cattle can drink. If there is some way to put a tank heater in your concrete water tank such as electric, and the water coming into the tank wouldn't freeze, you might not need the axe. After a few mornings, the cows will trot right out there with you.