Pond Aeration? Help!

Discussion in 'Hydroponics / Aquaponics' started by secuono, Jul 5, 2017.

1. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

So I have a small mud hole, I mean, pond. Lol. It needs aeration badly!

Roughly a 50x100 foot surface area, funky blob shape. 5.5 or so deep at the deepest. Gradually more shallow, think baby pool in a public pool.

So what is a good brand, CFM rating, type of pump?

Solar-
    We knocked solar off our list because it has no battery, so it is only on during the day in full sun.

Windmill-
    Husband doesn't like that it only works on windy days, but I don'tmind it.

Electric pump-
    Some of them need to be hard wired. To do that, we would probably need a pole installed, an electric panel, wire run to it, then hard wire to the panel. Never gonna happen!
    So the smaller ones that have a plug are possible, like the 1st link.

2nd link is to a windmill I like.

But I need to know what works and what doesn't or is too shytty. I already passed on one pump because the company lies and uses a crap pump and puts a new sticker on it.

"EasyPro Pond Products PA34W 1/4 hp Rocking Piston Aeration System Kit with Quick Sink Tubing"
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062F0ZCK/ref=psdcmw_402303011_t2_B00FM6DFPY

"Outdoor Water Solutions AWS0011 12-Feet Galvanized 3-Legged Aeration System Windmill"
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UNK7AO/ref=psdcmw_13881851_t3_B001RE0LS4

2. JoshuaM

JoshuaM Member

I have a windmill operated one in my bass pond, it works well enough to raise hundreds of bass every year for the past 10 years

3. secuono

Is the posted one any good?
    4.5CFM

What kind do you have?

Thanks.

4. JoshuaM

JoshuaM Member

I bought ours at an estate sale for $50, I'm not sure what the capacity is but I'm sure what you need depends on the volume of water you're aerating, by your measurements your pond would be about 27'500 cubic feet of water, I'm sure there's some sort of ratio you can look up as to the correct volume of air needed for that volume of water. The biggest change we saw was when I took the diffuser off that had ~3/16" holes all over it off and bought a big round "air stone" and jerry rigged it to the end of the air hose, more smaller the bubbles have more surface area to diffuse into the water. Also, aquatic plants help to absorb CO2 in the water and release oxygen, as well as firming the bottom of the pond with roots and providing aquatic habitats. By your description of it being a mud hole I would assume that it has a lack of plants? I'm sure you could find some locally to throw in the pool to help

5. secuono

This, at bottom, is the one I found last year and would love to have, but only assuming it's a good one.

I tried to add some native aquatic plants, but they failed to take off. You can't see past a few inches, so I think it didn't get enough light.

It spills out an overflow tube down 500ft or so and then into a creek, so I can't use invasive plants. Some people have told me it's an illegal setup, but it's been around since at least the 60s.

https://www.pondaeration.com/pondaerationwindmill.html

6. JoshuaM

JoshuaM Member

What is causing the murk? Is there fish in it stirring up bottom (like carp) or a heavy flow of water into the pond? I'd throw some minnow traps in the creek it overflows to and release them in your pond and see what happens, one way to oxygenate water is to create surface motion like a creek, or if there is an inflow could you make it 'waterfall' into the pond?

7. secuono

Heavy rain, it comes down the mountainside.
    I've only seen frogs. Barn swallows like to hunt above it. Never seen fish.

Are you saying put a minnow trap in the creek & any fish caught, put them in the pond?
    I added 30 minnows last year. The kingfishers and frogs had a field day and rest were found dead floating within a few weeks.

I tested the water for ammonia, nitrates & nitrites, all are always zero.

I want the windmill or electric aerator to help the pond.

8. secuono

It was 8-10in low in these pics, then it stormed and it's up 4in or so.
    Very shallow area you can sometimes make out the rocks.
    received_10155436103352359.jpeg received_10155436107972359.jpeg 23191.jpg

9. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that size ? This looks to be way more than 50x 100
    In any case a fountain or a propeller can both add good aeration.
    The nice thing about solar I'd it will help when ya need it most , a windmill is the opposite.

10. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

I use a sump pump from Harbor freight set at the deep end of my pond,hose moves the water to a smaller pond and down a rock water fall an back. I do have lots of water iris, lillys cattail. I have goldfish

11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I believe they said "feet" but meant "yards"

12. secuono

We have a good amount of wind, being on small mountains. Are there cheap tools to measure wind for a year?

I wasn't horribly off. Used a survey map and it's scale to measure it.

But used Google maps' distance measuring feature just now, didn't know they had that feature until recently.
    163 x 98 feet.
    5ft deep at black dot normally. Spring it goes up 4-6in, dry times it drops nearly a foot. The bottom slopes down to the dot like a reverse mound.
    pond.jpg

13. Swampmusic

Swampmusic New Member

I used one of these in the pond I used to have at my old place:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LP1586/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I didn't have electricity nearby, so I bought some cheap irrigation line to use as an air line, and ran that about 500 feet to the pond from my shed. It's a lot easier for a novice like me to run air line than run electricity. The aerator worked great for a few years on the pond, and I am still using it to aerate an above-ground swimming pool/fish pond in my barn.

fishhead likes this.
  14. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I realize this is an old thread but why do you think it needs aeration? Not all ponds need aeration. I raised fish commercially for 10+ years and didn't aerate my ponds. They were positioned to use the wind. Even without wind they were fine.

I would just stock some fish and see what happens. Some state DNR's will provide fish for stocking or they can be purchased from private fish farms.