pomegranates and passion flower fruits

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by caballoviejo, Nov 1, 2005.

1. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Pomegranate - I just pull the fruit into big pieces and tickle the seeds out with my teeth, tougue, and fingers.

Some of the wild (Passiflora incarnata) fruits are quite sweet and have a flavor as good as the tropical cultivated species. Crack them open with your fingers like an egg and suck out the seed mass.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Pomegranites will split when they are ripe, you just pry them open from the split..but seeds will go flying!

Passion fruit are depending on the variety...some stay green and are hard to detect amongst the green foilage. The purple fruiting varietys are ready when the fruit is purple and can eaily be pulled fromthe vine or wait for them to fall off. They are still easy to lose in the foilage, so keep an eye out. I used to mark the flowers with yarn so I would know where to look later for fruit.

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I opened the pomegranate and was amazed at the number of seeds. It was a sweet/tart flavor but what work to get that taste!

My passion flower is green and stays green. No purple or any other color. I figured I needed to pick the fruit before a freeze??

4. birdie_poo

The freeze may kill off or back the plant...that's how I lost mine and I live in San Diego.

We like to pick the fruit that has dropped, then scoop them out and freeze the seeds...it's so good over sorbet!

5. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I had organic pomegranate-passion fruit juice over the weekend. My gosh - food of the gods!!!!!!! Fabulous! Get out that juicer and enjoy!
    BW

6. birdie_poo

It's the passion fruit that can freeze...the leaves are much more susceptible than those of the pomegranite. Here in San Diego, you really have to try hard to kill a pomegranite.