Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any of you grown any of these trees?

We are looking into growing some to have our own fruit to eat and juice. This pomegranate is suppose to be really good for a person body. :sing:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, I propagated three last year. They produced a fruit this year. Growing up, I remember those black pomegranate stained hands. Once I had a chance, I had to get some of my own. But, I couldn't find them anywheres near. So, I gave it a try. I researched quite a bit to find they pretty much care for themselves and dont need a whole lot of help against insects, fungus etc.

·
Registered
271 Posts
id say almost like a sweeter grape/cranberry type flavor. The cute little Nana dwarf doesnt really make decent sized fruit. I gave it a few years, and I never felt it was worth it.....

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Grow in zone 8ish. Had a large hedge of them in Galveston- lovely flowers but nonfruiting type I guess. I have a tiny one- first year (6" tall) I thought it froze to death but it came back and now at 2 years out is about 3 ft and surviving the mild frosts.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were can I order some from or can I get some Pomegranate seeds and start from there or what?

We are wanting to get them started as soon as can..

G

·
They really prefer a drier climate than what Florida can offer, but they are grown here (not commercially) and across the lower South. I had a variety Wonderful for about four years. Pruned it into a tree shape and it had really nice blossoms. The last year it even set five fruit, but the dang squirrels ate every one of them when they were still green as grass.

The 2004 hurricanes did their best to blow it out of the ground so that I had to go out in the storm to drive a stake to tie it to. It was never quite right after that and died on me suddenly last year. I've seen a couple of trees that are as old as I am or more.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I bought it from edible landscaping I think in VA. Think I've seen them for sale in garden stores, dunno about Lowes/HD.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Joe, now is the right time to propagate pomegranate. I have one in my backyard and have been making cuttings off it for friends. Don't bother with seeds, because rooted cutting are much faster and more vigorous and the fruit will come true to type.

After the tree has lost it's leaves in the fall (right now) cut off pencil sized branches about 15-18" long. Dip the cut end (lower end closest to the roots) in commercial rooting powder (available at Home Depot and Lowes) and bury the cut stem in the ground with just 3-4 buds sticking out of the surface. I use 15" lengths of drain pipe filled with dirt for this. The stems will sprout next spring, and in a year your pomegranate tree will be ready to transplant into the ground. Expect your first fruit after it's been in the ground for 2-3 years. Everything will go just that much faster if you bury your cuttings where you want you tree to be.

I have a great recipe for pomegranate jelly. Take 4 cups of pure juice without seeds, and add one 1.75 oz packet of pectin. Bring the juice to a boil and add 5 cups of white sugar. Continue heating to a boil. Incrementally take a spoonfull of jam and drip it on a chilled coffee cup saucer. If the cooled jam does not immediately solidfy, continue boiling for a few more minutes. When the cooled jam solidifies on the saucer it is ready to go into jars. I pour the thickened jam into half-pints, seal, and boiling water-bath can for 10 minutes.

This jam is wonderful and give it as presents for Christmas. I originally came up with this recipe to deal with the hundreds of pomegranates my 15 year old tree bears.
Good luck,
Michael

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Michael Kawalek

Can you tell me of any place online where I can order a few trees?

Where I live no one has any trees so need to order them. Also have already purchase some pomegranates from our local store and juiced them. Loved the juice just now if can get some trees going so will not have to keep purchasing them from the store.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Joe
I originally bought my first tree from a local nursery, but I also see pomegranates being sold at my local Home Depot. If you want to by on-line here are some potential sites. You didn't mention whether you're in the east or west, so here are companies on each side of the country.

http://www.eat-it.com/index.php?plantSearch=Pomegranate
http://www.tytyga.com/category/Pomegranate+Trees
http://www.onegreenworld.com//index.php?cPath=1_53
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=Pomegranate

I would pay close attention to the cold hardiness of the variety you select, because although pomegranate can tolerate frost, it won't survive in a cold climate.
Good luck,
Michael

G

·
For any that might not have heard of them before I would NEVER order anything from the nursery at Tyty or anything connected with them. They're some of the biggest crooks in the business. There are other sources for anything they carry.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
tee hee hee. I dont disagree at all, I never ordered from them, but goodness! are the silly-sexy pictures of young people holding fruit not enough to give the hint that they are about marketing?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live close to the TN line but live right off the edge of Middleboro Ky so what zone would I be in?

Like to get some of them trees started since finally gotten to do some juicing of some the pomegranates. Trying to go all the orgincic ways possible..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Joe, here is the zone map of your part of the country.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

It looks like you might be either zone 6a or 6b. That might be too cold for pomegranate. I would check out your local nurseries first. My best guess is if the local ones have never heard of pomegranate, then it probably won't survive in Kentucky. You might be able to keep one alive if you plant it in a sheltered spot against the house, but keeping it alive may be a chore. Anyone else here growing a pomegranate in a climate that cold?
Michael

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for all the info on pomegranates. I have wanted a pomegranate tree for the longest but wasn't sure if one could be grown in my area (zone 7). I remember my aunt grew a tree in north Texas but it is significantly warmer there.

Rhnea

1 - 20 of 23 Posts