Pollen this time of year??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Oregonsparkie, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I know it has been warmer than usua l(in the mid 50's) but for the last couple days my girls have been pouring in the pollen. It is yellow so Im guessing daffodils(?), I know they will be out in very early spring. Those flower are what I associate the beginning of spring since I was a little boy.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Theres been pollen just about every day since Oct down here, thats pretty normal for this area though. mostly its trees and ragweed. glad to here its starting up there too.

3. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

In northern Ohio there's skunk cabbage. I've noticed the plants just popping out in the spring feed swamp today. Ground is still frozen and patches of snow around, yes spring in the air.

Timber

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

The pollen may be from dandelions! My girls are out in droves working them.The woods around our farm are filled with red maples and the are about to bloom! I will have to make more sugar water to feed them tomorrow.

5. beekeeper1

beekeeper1 New Member

I live in Massachusetts, and my girls are bringing in pollen, also. We have witchhazel in bloom. I don't know if this plant is indigenous in your area, but it might be the source.