Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
up date
Hello all, I did get the bees and they are doing good so far. I am feeding a Qt jar of 2 to 1 sugar & water every two days. so about a pint a day. We even had a gov. inspection, and it was fine thou they thought the bees will not last the winter.
I would like to ask thou what anyone knows about feeding pollen. The book we have says they must have it. I do not have it. but maybe could make some if I knew what 'casein' is..... ???
I will have to suit up later this week and have a look inside, which I have not done yet sense settling them in. I was not here when the gov. inspectors were here.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you can buy it from betterbee.com and yes i use it and the bees love it . helps them store up for the winter . its also cheap ,like 5.oo for about 8 lbs . also keep giving them sugar water as this will help them build up stores for the winter im not shure where you are at but the more stores they have the better they will do in the winter.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I use only brewers yeast its probably not as good as pollen substitutes that contain real pollen but much cheaper and i have a real pollen flow most of the year.also a friend of mine purchased some pollen from china last year to make pollen patties out of and he had the worst trouble ever with chalkbrood even though the pollen was certified cb free

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.