poll question-c-section complications?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Dec 17, 2004.

c-section complications

1. ever had a c-section

2. complications afterwards?

3. natural delivery tried before c-section

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

My friends daughter had a c section after many hours of exhaustive labour,and all appeared to go well, she went home and then inthe middle of the night had to be rushed back to hospital in extremely critical condition- massive infection, they didn't know what it was, seemed to be in her lungs, but they couldn't diagnose the source of infection-anti-biotics weren't touching it.
    Anyway, she was near death-the family was called in, but they were able to do an emergency operation in the middle of the night and her gut was full of poison.The hospital of course is covering their ass, saying it was ''nothing to do with the c-section''and nobody is talking.
    The family, of course is justvery thankful they were able to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it.She was weeks recovering, but is now pretty much back to normal, but that's as close to death as you can get.
    This was not an ''elective c section'' although she looks like a well built woman for bearing children, she clearly can't deliver naturally[ this was her second].
    Anybody else have such an experiance?

2. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

Your poll question is hard to answer because two apply.

I have had a c-section with no complications - - - after an a couple hours of exhaustive attempts to push him out on my own (big head).

My only problem was excessive bleeding because I felt so good within a few days I was doing too much.

3. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

I've had two c-sections, but they were necessary because my daughters were premature. No complications.

An infection like that after a c-section doesn't sound right. Is she OK to have more children?

Stacy

4. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I've been keeping tabs on the infection rate among friends and family who have surgery.

The nasty, life-threatening, antibiotic resistant infections are running about 70% in these patients that I personally know. Most of the ones without infection were put on high powered prophylactic antibiotics before, during and after surgery.

5. ~Misha

~Misha Live life to it's fullest

Honestly, it could be a whole host of things. Too many pelvic exams during labor, super bacteria, too long with waters ruptured, unclean or dirty instruments/surroundings etc.

They'd be smart to hire a lawyer and get her records supeona'd before they "happened" to get changed. Get someone good. 80% of the cases brought against dr's/hospitals are found in the favor of the dr.

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I had a massive infection after my c-section and had to be hospitalized with antibiotic IVs

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I had two c-sections with no complications, my sister had two c-sections with no complications and my sister-in-law had one c-section with no complications. That's right, all my parents' grandchildren were born via c-section!

Now, I have a friend who had to have a c-section (twins) and she almost died from a massive infection. It took her months to recover.

8. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

All three apply. My dd was too big and got stuck. She came out very swollen. Also 9.5 lbs. Csection recovery went very well. I was numb for days...the nurses told me to get up and move while I culdnt feel it, to work out the soreness and it worked...at 2 weeks after I could get myself up off the floor. DS was 10.6lbs, he csection didnt go well at all. If I knew I was allowed to fire the Dr I would have. Ds was laying on an artery, and I was having black out spells. Dr ignored it, wanted to send me to a neuorologist(sp?) and then refused to give me the csection when I knew I needed it b/c he was going on vacation. DS came, I ended up in icu for 24 hours, bp was 50/20, dr went home after the csection before I was even out of recovery. He was mad that he had to come back. I gave him hell in front of some of the other dr's, and he changed his tone. The morphine had no effect on the pain. they came in with a ultrasound machine "looking for another one". There wasnt one. How could one miss a baby in all that? He was just trying to cover his azz. No infections, but it took a good 8 months before I "felt right" again. We most likely wont be having another.

9. SherryK

SherryK Member

My second daughter was by C-section since she was breech. I had a severe infection that required IV antibiotics. I recovered quickly once they were started, but it was not fun.

10. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

I have had 3 c-sections.. what they call a bikini cut...
    never had any infections, etc.. infact, with my 3rd C-section... the surgery was on a thursday.. I went home saturday and went grocery shopping sunday, because my ex couldnt ... yadda yadda..

now... 10 yrs later, they did an emergency ovarian cyst surgery on me.. and I had problems after that... but it was more of an infection along the incision.. and not internal... and that surgery they cut me from 3 inches above my belly button.. down.. to the bikini line...

too much assembly line doctoring now a days is the problem I see.. and things are rushed and not double checked... that is why infections happen...

Lynn in Texas

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

I have had a CSEC followed by infection. Certain situations can predispose one to an infection or other CSEC complications. if a difficult labor preceeded the CSEC there are more likely to be complications afterwards. There will always be a risk of complications from CSEC simply due to the fact that it is major abdominal surgery with no small amt of anesthesia, not to mention the fact that your risks of an infection goes up the minute that you walk in the hospital door. After all...that is what hospitals are really for...sick and often dying. And the "bugs" in a hospital are not nec those that you have built up an immunity to at home.

12. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

I am a man. So I can not have a baby by natural birth, or c-section.

The hospital is not responsible for you having a baby.
    That is the parents choice only ! ! !

THe Hospital is there to help in the deliverly of the baby, and the mothers well being comes first, before the child being born ! ! !

Don't blame the hospital for what you chose to do ! ! !

Complications can arise from your choices ! ! !

Know what you are doing BEFORE you make your final choice ! ! !

You reap what you sow ! ! !

13. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

no c-sections

2 pushes for my son and 1 push for my daughter 5 hr labor....I am only 5'2 and fully pregnant under 150#....no drugs and healthy 7.5# babies

If I ever have another I'd like to have it at home....so I dont have an audience when its time to nurse the baby and kiddos arent exposed to hospital germs.

14. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

yes, csec, son was breech, no problems BUT I must say, I really did have an excellent doctor.

15. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

16. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I had both my sons via c-section with no complications or regrets. Both my boys were big with big heads - my first was estimated to be at 11 lbs b/c his head was so big it threw off their calculations. He ended up at 10 lbs, but 21 inches long. My second son was 9 lbs. Had him by c-section b/c I got pg with him only 5 mos after first was born and we didn't want to take risks. (It can take up to 18 mos for your uterus to heal after a c-section)

We were going to try having our first son naturally, till the doc explained all the problems that could occur by trying to have him naturally. He said I had a 1 in 4 chance of complications with either me or the baby, and that if he brought in a team of 25 docs they'd all say "c-section".

He was right. There were 4 other mothers in the ward with me that had the same problem - big baby, but they tried to go naturally. My c-section was pushed back 3 times when all of them tried natural birth and ended up in emergency c-sections.

No regrets, no complications, and in 2 weeks I was wandering around walmart.

After all that, though, I had my tubes done so I couldn't have any more kids. Didn't have any chance of having a girl, didn't want to risk another c-section and hated being pregnant.

Edited to add that I was lucky.. I live in one of the healthiest areas of the country. We have some of the best hospitals available, and I think that played a major role in how well everything went for me.

17. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

HUH? Did I miss something? If the hospital makes a mistake it's our fault for trusting them?
    (I agree with qvrmidwife re: infections in hospitals but I don't get your exclamation points all through this post Bumpus)

18. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My experience was similar. In labor eight hours with first child trying to have it naturally...doctor finally decided the baby wasn't moving. I'm 5'2" weighed 120 and my baby was 9 lb. 11 oz. and 22 inches long! Got pregnant with second child six months later...was considered high risk. Pressure on the incision caused some pain and concern. Second child was 9 lb. 22 inches. Doctors said I wouldn't survive another pregnancy so I had my tubes tied at age 22. I loved being pregnant, I love babies, but I've had little regrets about my decision. I needed to be here for the two I had...not try to bring more into the world.

19. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I had both my children by c-section (again, BIG headed kids, docs kept checking them for hydrocephalus). Tried 24 hours of labor with #1 Son, but he kept bobbing around at -1 forever.

I know that I was fortunate to have had no complications, but I also had an extremely conscientious doctor who would give the staff holy heck if they were in any way negligent about hygiene.

Hospitals are (and maybe always have been) hotbeds for infection. Heck, there are sick people there! And the rate of nosocomial infections is on the rise.

Here's a question for Bumpus (and anyone who shares his attitude): If someone who has a surgical delivery out of necessity develops a nosocomial infection and it is the result of "reaping what they sow," is the same true for my friend who had an operation on his knee and developed a life-threatening nosocomial infection? Or does he get off because he's a guy and can't get pregnant? Should he have had the knee surgery at home?

Not everyone is so blessed that they can have breezy, uncomplicated deliveries. I tried, and it darned near wiped out both me and my infant son. So, should I have died in the process of birthing him? Should he also have died?

I really find your remarks kind of irritating. Maybe you and your lady wife have had good experiences with delivering your children. Then you are very blessed, and you should praise God for that blessing. Not everyone is as fortunate.

20. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

My DD has had 3 c-sections because she can't dilate past a 3 during labor. Her first two c-sections she went through labor to try to deliver naturally. Her 3rd one they just scheduled it, she went in at 6:00am and the baby was delivered shortly after 8:00am. She says that was by far her easiest recovery since her body didn't have the stress of having gone through labor as well. No infections or medical problems. She's had the same doctor for all 3 and trusts him completely. He has told her since her first c-section that she can have 4 and then he wants to do a tubal. Their was an 8 year gap between #2 and #3, the last baby her scar was in such good condition that she thinks she could have a 5th one if she wants. She's a small girl, too. 5' 2", also under 150 when fully pregnant, and has medium to large size babies.

I delivered my two children vaginally but with the 2nd one after my DD was born, labor stopped and the cervix closed before the placenta was expelled. This is something that is rare but can be potentially fatal. I was very fortunate.