Poll: Lowes or Home Depot

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by featherbottom, Nov 24, 2004.

Where do you shop and your gender?

1. Lowes - female

2. Lowes - male

3. Home Depot - female

4. Home Depot - male

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

2. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

I find Lowe's to be cheaper and the staff to be more helpful. I like the lay-out of Lowe's better.

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

MENARD's by a land slide!
    In our area we get to chose betwen Menard's and Home Depot.

Menard's has MUCH BETTR service.

4. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Second a vote for Menards, although they were a lot better 30 years ago when they were more an old-style lumber yard than today. They are still pretty good.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband and I both prefer Lowe's to Home Depot. They have a bigger selection and the prices are better.

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Im a menards man too. HD has just taken over our old Kmart and is coinverting it to a new HD. Ive never dealt with HD so no opinion. We have a Lowes and frankly its the dirtiest store Ive ever seen in my life. always a layer of dust on everything and everytime I go in there I come out filthy dirty. The help is okay but I think there lumber is overpriced and not much selection. give me a Menards anytime. The worst however is Sutherlands. They are the new kid down near us in Missouri and they are the pits.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

My money goes to Lowes hands down. However on occasion Home Depot will have items that Lowes doesn't.

The local Lowes is arranged better, is larger and cleaner, has friendlier and more helpful staff, and I really believe that Lowes sells a better quality of dimension lumber.

Home Depot has only been open a couple of years and has already rearranged some departments. Can't find a thing in them now, if and when I do go in.

Sure wish we had a Menards to try out.

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I shop both.Since they are only two blocks apart here. :rolleyes:Which i happen to think was very common thing for HD to do.(There about as low as Wal-mart in my book).Lowes was here first,as soon as they built there selves a new bigger better store HD comes along and slaps theres up right beside them.Which was not to smart in my opinion.Sure it saved them some money researched where would have been the best location.But they would have had more business on my side of town,closer to milatary post,and construction. Each has different brands of tools.And while i may like one thing better at one store theres always something i like better at the other.But Lowe's (here) makes you pay for hand tools in that divided department.Makes me feel like there watching me like I'm a thief.Not good for business in my opinion.For that one reason if i had to chose only one to shop at it would be HD. ;)

9. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

When we lived in OK, we had a Lowes, Home Depot, and another big store all within a mile. Hubby loved comparison shopping, and usually found things cheaper at HD. When we moved here, Lowes & 84 Lumber were our only choices. In the past year, they have opened a HD, but it really is quite small, and has a limited selection. So, we are back to Lowes.

10. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I live within a mile of a Lowe's and an HD that sit right next door to each other. Lowe's seems to have better selection and a lot more services (HD does not cut glass or plexaglass). I hear Menard's is great but I would have to travel 25 miles. Guess I will stick with Lowe's

duke3522

11. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I just put down 90+ sheets of 3/4" x 4' x 8' tongue and groove plywood floor decking on a mezzanine at work. I bought about 1/2 at Home Depot and the other 1/2 at Lowes because neither could fill the whole order. Both places had it for about the same price. The Lowes wood was FAR superior - very square, with one perfect side and the tongue and grooves were all in the middle. The Home Depot wood was horrible to work with, the "good" side was covered with knot holes filled with putty. The tongue and grooves were not right in the middle of the sides, they kind of wondered. My second complaint is at the Home Depot you have to pay for everything in the tool area at that register. A real pain if you are buying alot of stuff - some big and bulky and one have one purchase order. This system automatically treats me like a criminal. They also are very bad at deactivating the security device - no I just keep walking after the warning goes off and the person saying "sir? sir? sir? - well they just have to catch up with me cause I ain't stopping. Lowes is always cleaner and better organized too. I took the time to sit down and write an email to Home Depot about the 1000's and 1000's of dollars I USED to spend there every year and all I got back was a Dear customer generic letter.
    Greg

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................I voted for Lowes , and I've Never been inside one of their stores ! Why , well , Home Depot has become a "catch me if you can" scenerio when a person needs help to find or load something . The last load of lumber i purchased at HD was thru the girl at the register...I told her what I wanted , paid , and pointed to my truck and trailer that was sitting in the middle of the contractors loading area . So , i am a contractor , from time to time but they got them White Boys busy and loaded my 12 2x8's and i was a happy camper .
    ....................Lowes is currently building a new store about 1\2 mile east of HD and on the South side of I20 , so I'm looking forward to the Diversity coming into the bldg. materials retail market...long live competition!!!@..fordy :)

13. featherbottom

14. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

At Menards you can buy your lumber inside drive around back and load your truck. No fun loading a lot of lumber in a cart and pushing it a block to load into truck. I like Lowes a little better the H.D.

15. featherbottom

16. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Lowes-

it's closer, as far as I'm concerned they both have the same stuff

17. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Menards wins with me too, hands down!

My choices, in order, are:
    1. Menards
    2. Lowe's
    3. Regional lumber company
    4. Mom and pop hardware store
    5. Doing without
    6. HD, which sucks in my opinion

clove

18. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I shop at either when I need what they have. HD had way better prices on some things, like electrical wire, saved about $5/roll for 500' rolls of 14 guage stranded wire. Once I bought there though, I was able to buy more from Lowes with a price match guarantee. Lowes has a much higher quality of lumber. A bit pricier, but worth it for what you're getting, and they will still cut pressure treated lumber, which the HD nearest here has quit doing.

One thing I found out at the brand new Lowes they built near here recently however, is while HD will cut pipe, Lowes will not. If you only need short lengths of the larger (like 4") pipe, and are driving a car, it's easier to carry a stick as cut sections than full length.

Bob

19. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Definately Lowes.... I am a female, but it has nothing to do with the surroundings. It just seems to me that they have more educated employees that can be really helpful. Only go to Home Depot for their clearance section, have gotten some really great buys. But if you need an educated salesperson, Lowes is the place to go!

20. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

we dont have a lowes near by, if we did I'd rather shop there, prices seem much more reasonable, but we have to settle for home cheapo.