Homesteading Forum banner

How do you hard boil eggs?

• I add the eggs to the water, and THEN bring them to a boil.

• I boil the water FIRST, and then add the eggs to the boiling water.

• Some other way. (Please explain.)

• Boil eggs?!? I can't even boil water!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After answering a question on the Poultry Forum about the age old problem of eggs sticking to the shells after hard boiling them, I thought a poll was in order.

My older sister was having problems with hard boiling eggs and having them stick to the shell. When she mentioned this to my younger sister, my younger sister asked how she boiled the eggs.

It seems that the older sister always added eggs to the water and THEN brought the water to a boil, whereas my younger sister lets the eggs sit out for 2 - 3 hours (to bring them up to room temperature) and then she gets the water boiling and then adds the eggs to the already boiling water.

When my older sister tried this method, she didn't have a problem of the eggs sticking to the shells.

So how do YOU boil your eggs?

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
I put the eggs in the water, bring it to a boil, turn it off, put a lid on it and let them set for 10-15 minutes depending on how big the eggs are.

I also add a good splash of salt to the water before boiling.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I put the eggs in the water, bring it to a boil, turn it off, put a lid on it and let them set for 10-15 minutes depending on how big the eggs are.

Exactly. And you don't have that ugly green line around the yolk. And the whites aren't rubbery.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
The problem your sister is having is because she is using eggs that are too fresh. Older eggs peel much easier. I start with cold water and cold eggs. Bring to a boil and boil for 9 minutes. Then rinse and drain under cold water. I tried bringing to a boil and then letting them sit but had a hard time peeling them even though they were old.

·
A & N Lazy Pond Farm
3,376 Posts

The only thing I do different than the above is after they set for 10-15 minutes I drain them and then pop the shell with the back of a spoon then put them in very cold water for a few minutes. Even fresh eggs peel good this way.

Nancy

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
The problem your sister is having is because she is using eggs that are too fresh. Older eggs peel much easier. I start with cold water and cold eggs. Bring to a boil and boil for 9 minutes. Then rinse and drain under cold water. I tried bringing to a boil and then letting them sit but had a hard time peeling them even though they were old.
I do the same but usually I buy an extra dozen eggs & let them stay in the fridge a week befrore I want to boil them then I have no problem. The real farm fresh eggs look like crap after I boil & peel them, usually not much of the egg left!

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
I pierce the fat end with a push pin, add vinegar and salt to the water, add eggs, bring it all to a boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot and let sit for 15 minutes. I then remove the lid, dump the hot water and then fill the pot with very cold water several times. I've never had trouble peeling since I've started using this method (and I've used eggs that were so fresh they were still warm from the chickens' behinds!).

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I pierce the fat end with a push pin, add vinegar and salt to the water, add eggs, bring it all to a boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot and let sit for 15 minutes. I then remove the lid, dump the hot water and then fill the pot with very cold water several times. I've never had trouble peeling since I've started using this method (and I've used eggs that were so fresh they were still warm from the chickens' behinds!).
Exactly the same method here and I never have problems peeling them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yep, this is the way I do it as well.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I take eggs from the frig to the pan, fill with cold water, add a drop of butter or olive oil, then bring to a boil, shut off the heat, let them set for about 10 minutes, then pour out the hot water and cover the eggs with cold water to cool them as quick as possible. If I need to peel them before they cool, I peel under cold running water to keep from burning my hands. The sooner I peel them, the easier the shell comes off. If I set the eggs in the frig for a few days (taking one out every now & then to add to a salad) then the shell usually sticks and part of the white comes off as I peel it leaving an ugly egg with little craters chunked out of it.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
So far I'm the ONLY one who boils the water and then adds the eggs? It works for me, even with fresh eggs, and I don't add anything to the water. I've tried the other way several times, and just make a mess. So now I'm back to the way Mom taught me.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I then remove the lid, dump the hot water and then fill the pot with very cold water several times.
yep, I think the cold water after the boiling is KEY

I don't have any problems peeling doing it this way

Plus, it's the way Betty Crocker told me to do it .... I do whatever she tells me to do :p

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So far I'm the ONLY one who boils the water and then adds the eggs? It works for me, even with fresh eggs, and I don't add anything to the water. I've tried the other way several times, and just make a mess. So now I'm back to the way Mom taught me.
I also boil my water first then add the eggs. I add salt to the water and I take a pin and push a hole through the fat end of the egg to help it keep from cracking in the water. Works almost 100 percent of the time. Boil for 15 mins then drain hot water, bounce them a couple of times to crack the shell and then put cold water over them and let them set for 5 mins or so, just until they are cool enough to handle and peel them, never had a problem peeling them.

·
being a Mrs. is an honor
541 Posts

ditto, starting w/ cold water....

·
Registered
211 Posts

Exactly the way I do it.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmmm, interesting!! So it seems so far Phantomfyre & Mysticdream44 are really the only ones who does as my younger sister does.

Heather, that's interesting that you mention Betty Crocker, as that is exactly what my older sister mentioned "Betty Crocker puts the eggs in the water and then brings it to a boil."

That is also how I remember my Mother doing it, so I'm not quite sure where my younger sister learned her trick.

Perhaps an experiment should be done where those who normally put the eggs in the water / add vinegar or salt and THEN bring the water to a boil should try it with bringing the water to a boil first with nothing added.

And Phantomfyre & Mysticdream44 should do it the other way with adding salt / vinegar to the water and have the eggs in BEFORE the water is brought to a boil.

See if your "tried & true" method works, or if you prefer the new way of doing it.

Of course, you will have to post your results!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I put mine in the water with a bit of salt and boil the devil out of them and then cool them rapidly in cold water.

I rarely do boiled eggs unless I'm making deviled eggs. I don't eat them by themselves and I rarely add them to salads.

·
Xander's Mom
584 Posts
I put my eggs in cold water and then bring it to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes and then run under cold water. Older eggs peel easier but my secret ingredient is baking soda.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y[/ame]

Vinegar also changes the ph of the water making the eggs easier to shell but baking soda seems to do a better job, plus it doesn't stink up the kitchen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts