POLL...Do You read your meter each month and HOW much power do you consume ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Apr 18, 2006.

Power Consumption poll.....

1. 0...Kw's....I've got Solar!!!

2. 0....to...200....I'm a minimal power consumer...

3. 200...to...500....Affordable?

4. 500...to...800...Barely affordable

5. 800...to...1000...I'm broke

6. 1000...to...1200...my outhouse has electric heat!!

7. 1200...to...1400...need Mo' insulation!

8. 1400...to...1600...my childrens inheritance is gone!!

9. 1600...to...2000...I'm rich !!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I'm curious as to how many members actually read their meter each month . Some folks simply don't KNOW how to read a meter which I'll explain alittle later . And , IF you can read the meter then you'll beable to track your power consumption during the month . fordy... :hobbyhors :shrug:

2. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Yes, I read it every month (and sometimes in between). We are an all electric home which includes everything but water to the house.

You post yours and I'll post mine! :)

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Ok, I used 186 kw's last month but , I'm already Up too 302 this month due to the excessive heat.......fordy... :shrug:

4. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

i don't read my meter, but just trust that the bill is correct. i typically use 100 or so kwh/mo. That's for the standard water pump, regular refrigerator, compact flourescent lights and the regualr tv/vcr (rarely used) and radio and the ARC welder.

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Fair enough Fordy. I had a little trouble with the poll - as in up to 1600 I'm rich. Far far from it. So anyway here it goes. Last month was 2410. Have you fallen over on your face yet? No? If not let me tell you it includes electric water heater, freezers, electric stove (my biggest user as I am a scratch cook), micro , computer, power to outbuildings and shop with power tools, all lights, TV (on usually 1/2-1 hr to watch videos -no other hook up) and heat pump. The bill was $132.27 which includes taxes and a $10 service charge. In summer we run $40 to $60 a month.

Personally I consider that real good as I live in the Dakotas. In fact right now we are under a winter storm warning for up to 60mph winds and 3-6 inches of snow so the heat will be on again. I'm not as tough as I was when I was young. :shrug: Oh, and unless you live in or near the Black Hills forget burning with wood - this is the Great Plains - as in no trees.

6. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Although I'm not in your lowest category, I used 432 kwh last month which came to $43.89. I think that dollar amount is reasonable. I'm not sure that even using a lot less kwh if the bill would be proportionately smaller as there is a regular customer charge of $9.84. I have day/nite different fees and used 38.2 percent onpeak which is probably something I could reduce. I have no a.c., electric heat, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc. and use florescent lights. I have 4 small freezers, a refrig, micro and a fan for the greenhouse which runs 24/7. Usually either the computer or the tv is on most of the time (tv keeps the dogs from freaking out during storms or when I am away.
    Ann

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We are around 650kwh for a bill around$75 in ME

2adults 3 kids (homeschooling)
    3freezers, 1fridge, dishwasher, washer, pc and we line dry all clothing
    fan pushes woodstove heat
    HWBB just for hot water (boilermate)

We dont have AC in the summer just fans....

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........Barb , your electric provider must be subsidized in some context . That is only 5.5 cents per kw if my division is correct . As a contrast , my latest bill is for 183 kw and the charge is 33.12 . So 33.12\183 = 18 cents per Kwh . 2410 down here would run.....2410 x .18 = 433.80 . You'd get rid of that ALL electric Muy pronto I'll just bet. :happy: . fordy... :)

9. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

We average about 600-700 kwh per month here. March's bill was 613 kwh for $68.06.

That's in Michigan, 2 adults and 4 kids (lots of laundry, high efficiency washing machine :nerd: ), two fridges, a big chest freezer, occassionally an upright freezer (couple months after fall hog butcher and deer hunting season until it all fits in the chest freezer again), microwave, computer, double ovens, well pump. We water 2 dogs, about 2 dozen chickens and 12 rabbits, plus our own drinking and bathing water. Dryer, boiler/water heater, and stove are all gas.

10. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Our electric company is a COOP and has apparently made some wise investments but they have announced we will go up this summer. How much we don't know.

Get rid of what Fordy? I'm willing to listen. We don't run the TV only for the short time I mentioned. Nothing else is run all day like a radio ( usually just short time in the morning for local news) or stereo. We're in bed about (9pm and the heat is shut down well before that. I cannot burn wood plus gas, oil and coal are even more expensive. Solar is a possibility but way beyond the budget right now. Never more that one light is on at night unless it is absolutely necessary. I try to do baking all at once while the oven is already warm but canning consumes a lot of wattage. AC is never on unless we are going to be in the high 90's or 100's.

A new heat pump is going in his spring (Insurance is paying for most of it as we had terrible hail damage last summer) and we put more insulation in this fall. We have caulked or foamed every crack and are in the process of replacing all the windows (plastic in on those we haven't gotten to). We put storms on the basement window and draft dodgers at the doors. People think we are never home because when the TV is on there are no light burning and we look very dark. We bought a more efficient water heater last fall and just picked up a more efficient freezer yesterday for the 1/2 buffalo that we bartered for and will use our old one only for backup (even though it is pretty efficient already).

As far as the cost per kilowatt goes we pay less for heat than regular use. We have a heat meter to the heat pump to keep track and we read both meters every month. No discount for AC though heat discount only applies in the winter months. We also have two other meters to wells that are seasonally read. These supply water to the cattle. As of last fall the house is on Rural Water.

Time to turn off the computer and save some money- back later

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

1614 KW here for total electric including shop, only other utility is phone. Bill was $109 and change for power.

12. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Last month we used 1527kwh. At .1389 per kwh, our bill was 212.25. That was a light usage month. Only had to run the heater a few days.
    The month before was cold. We used 2479 kwh, for a bill of about $335!!
    Rich? No, we're on our way to the poor house. The air conditioner ran today and yesterday. It shouldn't be on for at least another month, but here we are in the nineties in April.
    We are all electric, in an old home obviously in need of new windows and insulation.
    mary

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Mary , I didn't mean it literally , rarther , I suppose the meaning was that , that anyone who consumed that many KWh's would have the moola to pay a large electric bill . But , some folks are still paying a very low electric rate per Kwh it seems and so the rates vary all over the landscape depending upon where a person lives . fordy... :)

14. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Well, now I'm feeling bad. 768 here last month, bill $81, and we're on gas heat and gas stove. And our average is 896 (which includes running the A/C in the summer). I do have a tendency to leave lights on around the house while I'm home, but I've been trying to be better! And we've already replaced most of our bulbs with the high efficiency ones. There are just two of us here, and we have a big fridge/freezer, another freezer, a 55gal fish tank, a couple tvs and computers, microwave, various kitchen appliances, use washer/dryer for about 10 loads/month, run dishwasher about 4 times/month, and.... That's all I can think of that would run electric. I do leave a radio on all day for the dogs to keep them company, and I'm running a few extra fluorescent bulbs now for my seedlings.

How can I find out if my hot water is run off gas or electric? I do take kinda long showers--like 10 minutes. My fiance grew up in a house where you turned the shower on to get wet, then turned it off to lather up, then turned it back on to rinse. That's too severe for me! A steaming hot shower is a simple pleasure I allow myself, and besides, if I turn the water off, I get cold!

15. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Just go out and look at your water heater. :) I also enjoy a hot shower, and a few months ago I turned the water heater down so that I can run it straight hot. lol Figured we don't need it to be heating water hotter than that. (No one in the family likes it as hot as I do. Everyone else still turns on some cold.)

We have four kids at home, three of them teenagers, so we use a lot of hot water, including doing a lot of laundry. I try to hang out clothes as much as I can, except for one or two loads of dress clothes a week. (Otherwise, I'd have to iron, and that'd use electricity, too.)

Fordy, I was not offended that you thought that kind of use would indicate wealth lol, just saying.

mary

16. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We have wind electric plus PVs and buy between zero and 120 kw-hrs a month. We use about 300 a month, including what we generate. Heat with passive solar and wood, gas cooking plus wood, gas hot water. Two freezers and two refrigerators, full shop with table, radial arm and chop saws, drill presses, planer, jointer, wood and metal lathes, welder, etc., etc. Five adults, sometimes more, usually at home. No air conditioning and no need for it 350+ days of the year, have lots of shade, insulation, and good ventilation.

From experience, I know that anyone can cut their power usage IF THEY WANT TO!!

17. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

No I don't care. I know I use plenty in the winter right around 1200 kWh. But that is because i have animals and use those tank water heaters in that are 1500 watts each in usage. and sometimes I have 3 of them going along with my car being plugged in on those cold nights which also is a 1500 watt tank heater. In the summer time I may drop down to 700 per month depending on how hot it is and how much I run the AC :)
    So don't care if I read the meter or not. In a few months we are going to a New type of electric meter anyways. Where they read it electronically from the head office. Cool~!

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Solar for me and not that much of it with 365 watts in panels. My biggest power user is the laptop cause I have it running a lot. We have no fridge, freezer, fans, t.v., electric lights, or most of the conveniences mentioned :) During the winter we heated with propane and I am doing my best to eliminate that need this year by finishing the wood fireplace.

19. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Last bill was 899 kwh for 98.95
    Feb 1533 kwh for 160.87
    I have been trying since last month to lower our electric. We have propane heat (no choice). I shut off the tank heaters as soon as it is above freezing during the day. And am drying on a line. Trying to do as much as I can. I hate paying things like the electric bill and phone company that increase all the time and give us little to no choice other than going without it. I know there are alternative energy plans out there but at this time there are none that we can do. I would love a wood stove, but my hubby is a fire inspector and won't have it.

20. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

We read ours each month & submit our readings to the hydro company online. Our usage last month was 1200kw, costing us $143. Our home is very well insulated. We heat with wood. We try to keep our usage down as much as possible. AND to top everything off we have been notified that our hydro costs will go up 6% next month. (some places it will be going up 15%).
    How do the poor ever manage?