polkweed root pics

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Apr 16, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i was harvesting compost from an old manure pile that was about 2 feet high when i uncovered this massive root from a polkweed/polkberry plant. i never knew they grew so big. i put pics on a website islapped together for images and such. check it out. that is a 5 gallon bucket lid laying near it for scale.

https://home.comcast.net/~wharoldd/

2. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

I have seen some that come pretty close to yours but I think yours is still bigger. We recently dug about a half dozen of them out of our blueberry patch. Hubby didn't want to dig them when the berries were on the bushes so we put it off. But this Spring we dug them up. For the one or two that are two close to the blueberry bush, we are just going to keep picking off the leaves as they start to sprout. If you do it often enough, the root will deplete to the point where it dies. I was just out this weekend doing that.
    Colleen

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i thought of naming this root it is so big, lol. no wonder some weeds just won't pull out. if i had removed it with care, i would have had some very long roots, say 4 or 5 feet. i was impressed with the girth of this thing. it is like a small tree root/stump.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Meloc, we eat poke "salet" now when the leaves are tender and they haven't turned color. I read that the old timers fed the poke to the chickens as the berries are a natural dewormer. So I do that too. Mine don't have worms so it must work since I don't use any chemicals....

Now, I'm curious that there may be something useful to do for that root. Anyone know?

How are those mums going? I think of you every time I divide mine:)