Polio/Thiamine question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have a goat that is showing symptoms of polio (or one of the other things that show similar symptoms, but since it's late and very cold, I can't do much for him tonight except the b1). I have a b complex handy but I am still uncertain about how much, (except alot) and if I can give it to him orally. Last time I gave him a b1 shot it was awful and most of it came back out of the injection site. He was skin and bones then, though. (literally) Not to mention the fact that I only have a 29 gauge needle on a 1/2 cc syringe! I have bigger syringes, but can't transfer the needle. :confused:

Maybe I am brain dead tonight but Vicki's dosage in a previous post was greek to me. :rolleyes: "The textbook dose of thiamine for polio is 10 mg/kg (100
    lbs is about 44.5 kg, so 445 mg thiamine at 100 mg/ml is about 4.5 cc of
    straight thiamine per 100 lbs of animal) IV to start, then repeat every
    6 hours (subsequent shots can be IM or SQ) for a day or so."

He's about 40 pounds/17-18 kg, my guess, and I want to give him something tonight. My B complex shows 12.5 mg/ml. Would that be about 13ml/cc for him?

That seems like alot of fluid to inject, unless of course I can try orally right now.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Goatladywebb

Goatladywebb Member

Goats will pee out the b complex that they don't need. When my boys first came down with polio,per vet instruction,I was giving 12cc's of Fort B daily..the goats ranged from 125 to 145 pounds.I continued giving the Fort B until all signs had been gone for 3 days. For one goat,it took a month.

3. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

When my Doe came down with Polio/Listeriosis I started Vit B Complex at 12cc every 6 hours until I started to see a change in her condition for the better. If I see no chang eI will and have raised the dosage 2cc at a time until I see improvment. My girl is about 75 - 80 lbs. and she would get 15cc every 6 hours until I saw improvment and then I would go to 3 times a day at the same dosage. I continue on this until they are back on their feet and moving around. Then I will go to once a day for a week with no signs of illness.

GoatLadyWebb is right. Goats will Pea out anything they dont need.

The way I see it, if the goat does have Polio it IS going to die if not treated and treated quickly. You have to give very high doses to get the desease and their is really no risk of over dose since they do just pea it out. I would rather take my chances of over doseing one of my pet girls when I know they will die anyway if I dont take the chance. If the risk is there of over dose.

let us know how she is doing.
    Tina