Police: Pit bull puppy gnaws off baby's toes

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by primroselane, Dec 13, 2006.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

BOSSIER CITY, La. - A pit bull puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes while the child's parents slept, police here said Monday. The parents were booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence and were being held in the Bossier Parish Jail pending an initial court appearance.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16178319/

I wonder if irresponsible and dysfunctional people find pit bulls enticing?

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...I seen this on our local news station...first let me say it was plugged as A PITBULL ATTACK ON NEWBORN! ...then when the news came on i listened to the story and seen a 6 week old puppythat is now being confined...I sure thought the PITBULL ATTACK was going to be a big ole 60-70 pound foaming at the mouth raging pitbull.....first i wondered did the baby scream as this puppy tried to nurse on it's toes and ate them off? if so i cant believe the parnets slept thru it since the baby was asleep in a carseat beside the bed....if the baby didnt scream then should they really be charged for anything?....I mean who thinks that a puppy could or would do such a thing??? many many folks get puppies when they have a child....my family was talking about this last night and son couldnt understand why the mother had the baby sleeping in a car seat and thought that was bad...well I explained that when his nephew was young he had projectile vomitting he was allergic to breast milk and formula but we didnt know at the time and we had him sleep in a carseat by our bed so he wouldnt choke to death if he got sick..he was 4 months old till the docs found out what was wrong with him.......i am not sure these parents should be in jail unless other dangerous or negectful things have been sighted......yes this was a horrible thing to happen to a baby but who could have known it would happen....and the puppy give me a break are they really gonna put a puppy down cause it was hungry and didnt know toes werent nipples?.....I think the news has made a mountain out of a molehill here...not to say something shouldnt be done to make sure the child is protected in the future but i think things happen that no one would even think about...I believe this was an accident pure and simple.....dale anne

3. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

When I was working as a drug and alcohol abuse counselor, a story like this would not have shocked me, with them sleeping next to the baby as it happened, if they were coming down off of a meth binge. I'm not making speculations into the parents lives, but just that when someone has been on a 15 day binge with no sleep they CRASH.

4. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

My thoughts exactly tinetine'goat.......how very sad..

5. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Pit bulls and babies do not mix, IMO Pit bulls and people do not mix. I cannot fathom how anyone would have a pit bull and a baby in the same room, puppy or not. When my son was a baby I kept the door to his room closed when he slept AT ALL TIMES because we had a cat. The parents were negligent pure and simple.

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with the puppies breed. I would never leave any breed puppy or dog alone with a baby while I slept. That is a bad idea. And no one can convince me that the baby wasn't screaming bloody murder while having it's toes sucked/chewed off... I have to assume that these parents were on or coming off of drugs. Poor child.

7. Bluegirl

Bluegirl Well-Known Member

I don't care what breed of puppy or dog you have, I don't believe in leaving a child & a dog unsupervised. Especially an infant! Even the best dog in the world could accidentally harm a child.

8. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Yep, I think that would be a fair statement.

I was wondering about the drug thing, too. How do you sleep through the screams of a baby having its toes gnawed off right next to you?

I wouldn't leave any animal alone with an infant--a kitten or a bunny rabbit or a puppy of any kind. Infants are fragile and vulnerable--and animals are animals and could do plenty of damage because they just don't know any better.

At 6 weeks, that puppy really shouldn't even have been separated from its mother. I wonder about this breeder who sold the puppy to these people--what exactly are her ethical standards???