Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buffalo, NY — A high profile case of Buffalo police killing a man’s dog while looking for non-existent drugs, has led to a Freedom of Information request revealing some sadistic figures.
On June 3, 2013 Buffalo police raided a man’s home to look for crack cocaine. He was not there, nor was the crack.
The home belonged to Iraqi war veteran, Adam Arroyo and his 2-year-old pit bull Cindy. Upon breaking down the door to Arroyo’s home, officers encountered Cindy, who was barely 50 pounds, and shot and killed her. They were at the wrong apartment.
According to use of force reports requested by WGRZ-TV under the Freedom of Information Law, Buffalo Police shot 92 dogs from Jan. 1, 2011 through Sept. 2014. Seventy-three of those dogs died. Nineteen survived.
To provide a comparison, Buffalo’s numbers more than triple the amount of dog shooting incidents involving police in Cincinnati, a municipality of similar size.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/3228771/posts

Reactions: fordy

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
The title is wrong:

According to use of force reports requested by WGRZ-TV under the Freedom of Information Law, Buffalo Police shot 92 dogs from Jan. 1, 2011 through Sept. 2014.

That isn't 93 dogs in 1 year. That's almost 4 years. 2 dogs a month.

In certain neighborhoods, the viciousness of your pit bull is a status symbol. These same neighborhoods tend to have a lot of crime. So it isn't at all surprising that when cops are there, they will encounter a lot of vicious dogs. If a snarling beast is interfering with your job and threatening you, and you conveniently have a pistol on your hip, what would you do? Get bit? I don't think so. If the cops shot 2 "purse pooches" a month in Beverly Hills, then we might have a real news story.

Reactions: Acer Rubrum

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The title is wrong:

According to use of force reports requested by WGRZ-TV under the Freedom of Information Law, Buffalo Police shot 92 dogs from Jan. 1, 2011 through Sept. 2014.

That isn't 93 dogs in 1 year. That's almost 4 years. 2 dogs a month.

In certain neighborhoods, the viciousness of your pit bull is a status symbol. These same neighborhoods tend to have a lot of crime. So it isn't at all surprising that when cops are there, they will encounter a lot of vicious dogs. If a snarling beast is interfering with your job and threatening you, and you conveniently have a pistol on your hip, what would you do? Get bit? I don't think so. If the cops shot 2 "purse pooches" a month in Beverly Hills, then we might have a real news story.
My mistake, was reading two articles at the same time and got the timing mixed up. Still, kinda makes you wonder why there were 3 times as many dogs shot in Buffalo, N.Y., as there was in Cincinnati, a city of comparable size.

Reactions: Sawmill Jim

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Defend yourself from one of their dogs (it's a natural instinct to hit a dog that's biting you) and they can tack on serious charges...up to ten years in prison for federal dogs.

Yet there have been many instances of cops shooting dogs that were not threatening. Officers do it as retribution for perceived disrespect toward them. Some officers consider it like a "sport" and they compete with each other over the number they can kill. I'll leave it at that, since it's already raising my blood pressure. If you don't believe it, do some research.

Sure, cops should defend themselves when necessary, but I believe most dog shootings are not necessary.

·
Banned
100 Posts
I stopped reading when I found the dog was a Pitbull.. I say "If it threatens you, shoot it before it has a chance to attack"...

If you want to own a vicious and aggressive breed of dog, don't be surprised when you get sued for it biting someone or it gets put down in defense.

I've never understood the thought process that would lead someone to want to own a "pet" that could put themselves and others at such risk. Come to think of it, I'd bet there isn't much thought being processed in such people and these are probably the same kind of people that don't keep the dogs vaccinations current.

Now, what does that story say about the breed of dogs being shot? How many of those were aggressive breeds and how many were docile like Labradors or whatever?

You'd be amazed at how a news media article can intentionally slant a story while easily making it seem like they are reporting all the facts.

Don't be fooled. Just answer one question. How many aggressive breeds vs normal family dogs?

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I stopped reading when I found the dog was a Pitbull.. I say "If it threatens you, shoot it before it has a chance to attack"...

If you want to own a vicious and aggressive breed of dog, don't be surprised when you get sued for it biting someone or it gets put down in defense.

I've never understood the thought process that would lead someone to want to own a "pet" that could put themselves and others at such risk. Come to think of it, I'd bet there isn't much thought being processed in such people and these are probably the same kind of people that don't keep the dogs vaccinations current.

Now, what does that story say about the breed of dogs being shot? How many of those were aggressive breeds and how many were docile like Labradors or whatever?

You'd be amazed at how a news media article can intentionally slant a story while easily making it seem like they are reporting all the facts.

Don't be fooled. Just answer one question. How many aggressive breeds vs normal family dogs?
First in the op's post it would appear they had the wrong house for starters . Now the wife's big dog she keeps inside stays a few feet from her at all times . Now when we are not here I understand he rules the house . We are not near neighbors or a town we don't encourage visitors often . That dog was in his own house doing what he should been doing :thumb:

Cops or anyone should know were they are at or should . I see the day coming when those no knock warrants are going to be met with a large volume of armor piercing projectiles :thumb:

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Yeah, and it happens fairly regularly that they go to the wrong house. If you're going to kill a dog, you better be darn sure you're at the right house. Or even if you're only going to bust the door down. Go to the right freaking houses, cops!

And this also makes me angry...when they shoot dogs and their internal investigations find that their officer was wrong (rare) they treat the dog as property and will settle for the purchase price of the dog. But punch a police dog and somehow it's more than property...how does that translate?

·
Banned
100 Posts
And this also makes me angry...when they shoot dogs and their internal investigations find that their officer was wrong (rare) they treat the dog as property and will settle for the purchase price of the dog. But punch a police dog and somehow it's more than property...how does that translate?
Make sure you keep that thought in your head one day when you're occupying a jury seat and you're asked to find someone guilty for such a thing.

This is one of the reasons why we have juries. to protect the accused from unreasonable laws.

When you're on a jury, you don't have to find someone guilty of a law if you don't agree with said law.

·
Banned
132 Posts
There are more and more of these incidents going on all the time it seems. Recently there was a case of police raiding a house looking for nonexistent drugs, they threw a flash grenade in a baby's crib. Kid has 3rd degree burns he will carry the deformity for the rest of his life. The officers faced no consequences.

Seems like these guys are running around with military grade weaponry using them on US citizens like we are enemies on a battlefield.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts

Ahhhh.. the proverbial book by the cover..

Just because it was a pitbull does NOT man it was vicious. I've known poodles that were more dangerous than a lot of pitbulls I've known..

I've pulled my hand back from a biting chihuahua faster than I have a Rott..

A breed does not make the dog... The owner makes the dog.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Ahhhh.. the proverbial book by the cover..

Just because it was a pitbull does NOT man it was vicious. I've known poodles that were more dangerous than a lot of pitbulls I've known..

I've pulled my hand back from a biting chihuahua faster than I have a Rott..

A breed does not make the dog... The owner makes the dog.
That's a common defense that owners of aggressive dogs use to justify their reasoning.

Pitbulls have been genetically bred to bite the head and face of larger animals and hold them. They are genetically predisposed to exhibit this behavior.

While there is a small bit of truth to what you say, I don't think anyone familiar with the subject would agree that your perspective is the rule. Rather, it is the exception as there are exceptions to most rules.

The fact is, if I see a Labrador come charging and barking at me, I'm probably going to get down, give it a big hug and say "That's a good boy".

But if its a pitbull, you're going to need a box and shovel.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
That's a common defense that owners of aggressive dogs use to justify their reasoning.

Pitbulls have been genetically bred to bite the head and face of larger animals and hold them. They are genetically predisposed to exhibit this behavior.

While there is a small bit of truth to what you say, I don't think anyone familiar with the subject would agree that your perspective is the rule. Rather, it is the exception as there are exceptions to most rules.

The fact is, if I see a Labrador come charging and barking at me, I'm probably going to get down, give it a big hug and say "That's a good boy".

There's a old saying you might have heard............

"If you can't run with the big dogs, then you better stay on the porch."
:D

I've yet to encounter a 4 legged or 2 legged creature I couldn't handle, either with non lethal force OR diplomacy.
Then again, I never graduated college...........or cop school.
Go figure.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts

You sure seem to be anti pitbull for a lot of mis-informed reasons.

First off, my statement is from experience. I have never owned a pitbull, or viscous dog. I have however owned a very snappy Chow, and I got rid of it because of that. That dog's brain didn't work right. If I could have had my way I would have shot the dog. It was very unpredictable, and a risk. The boxer I own now is so afraid of it's shadow, it's no threat to anything.

All my dogs have always been rescues.. I've owned a heck of a lotta dogs.

A dog that knows right from wrong will not attack a person. They are taught to be viscous. It's people who train them to attack.... They just don't have that wired in them...

Ever watch wild dogs? they won't get near a person... A wild pit will not want to have a thing to do with people. It will run from people.

An abandon stray is another story... They can be very dangerous.

You can keep up with your anti pit campaign but I know better.... I have nothing against any breed of dog.. I only have issues with individual dogs.

Reactions: Eagle-eye

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
A lot of cops can't identify pit bulls anyway. There have been incidents where they shot labs and other breeds that they later claimed were pit bulls.

Here's just one example: http://www.kxly.com/news/north-idaho-news/man-devastated-after-dog-shot-killed-by-cop/26918098. The cop shot the dog inside a van through the window and claimed it was a pit bull. It was a black lab. The police maintained their official story that it was a pit bull even after it was shown in pictures that it clearly was not.

·
Registered
87 Posts

My mother's nose was bitten off by a miniature schaunzer. I've been attacked by several Chihuahuas and poodles. My friend was mauled by a Labrador. other friend mauled by a golden retriever. My neighbor had a maltese killed by a german shepard.

I've never been threatened by any pitbull. I live near Cincinnati.

You might hate pitbulls and think them vicious, but that does not mean they should be shot willy-nilly. I bet if a policeman came into your house and shot your dog you'd have a different story to tell...

And for the record, since you seem to think that everyone who doesn't hat pitbulls has a vicious breed, I have owned 2 maltese, 1 shnoodle, a Labrador and a Chihuahua. Is that non-vicious enough for you?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My son worked as an EMT in Buffalo, got calls for people, having reaction to taking psychiatric medicine or the lack of it, when they didn't take the medicine for whatever reason. The people would have psychotic episodes, It was clear they were having a medical problem, but the police didn't care and beat the living manure out of them anyway. Buffalo police are @#$%^&*((_)(*&^%#@. My son disliked most if them. If one gets shot, know one really grieves about it.

·
Banned
100 Posts
You sure seem to be anti pitbull for a lot of mis-informed reasons.
Please continue.. what part of what I said is mis-informed?

A dog that knows right from wrong will not attack a person. They are taught to be viscous. It's people who train them to attack.... They just don't have that wired in them...
I can only agree with part of your statement. There is no convincing evidence showing that animals (including dogs) have the ability to distinguish ethical or moral right from wrong. But I do agree that training is a large part of a dogs behavior.
That said, genetics is also a large part. Genetic anomalies or behavioral anomalies, like your chow, happen in every species. But that's not the issue here.

The average pitbull is probably 1000 times more likely to attack than the average labrador or other normal breed dog.

And I do get it, its not a sharp line with vicious dogs on one side and docile on the other. Its more of a sliding scale. but few people would dispute that the pitbull is clearly at the far aggressive end.

I have nothing against any breed of dog.. I only have issues with individual dogs.
I have nothing against pitbulls as you suggest. They're not evil. Its just another animal doing what its bred and/or designed to do.
And to that end, I have nothing against mountain lions either, but I think it would be a very bad idea to own one as a pet or trust that its not going to clamp its jaws around your neck when its charging at you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts