Pole Houses

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by imago71, Nov 23, 2003.

1. imago71

imago71 Guest

Has anyone here had any experience with building and/or living in pole frame houses, as opposed to stick-frame buildings?

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Imago:

the house I am building in Missouri is a pole house. Its a great way to go as you can build just a bit of the house and add on as you go. We started out with an 8x12 shed as a place to camp. each year we have gone down and added more space. First we built a 12 x20 loafing shed across the short end of the original shed. It became our kitchen. Next year we added on a 18x26 section with a peaked roof. It became a dining room and 2 bedrooms. This year we added on a 20x34 wing and made a big ell of the whole building. The new part is two stories tall a living room and bedroom on first level and two beds upstairs. Pole building is easy and very forgiving of mistakes in laying out. Great for the amateur carpenter. Our ground was really hard and setting the posts was teh hardest part but once they were up it was easy. We used pressure treated lumber to hang the floor decks from the posts. We framed conventional walls between the posts on the platforms and we put on a standard metal roof. We heat with wood. The walls are insulated and finished with wallboard and wood panels. All our doors and windows and a lot of the interior fixtures were salvaged. We have about 1800 sq ft now and its cost us less than 15 grand including the labor we didnt do ourselves. Id be glad to talk to you about design and method if you care to PM me or email. You can see pics of the whole building process and read our web diary at www.geocities.com/missourijournal/index.html be patient geocities is stingy with band width and the cite is heavy on pics. I havent added the latest pics from the last big wing but I can send them to you. They show the process
    very well. Good luck.

3. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Check out this website:
    http://www.cabinhomesinc.com/

I'm really thinking about it... they look pretty good to me! They can even build them over a basement, supposedly.

4. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

My neighbor just built a home in a pole building.

First he built a 40 x 50 pole building l6 feet high. (He is retired and the building has to house his motor home and shop as well)

Next he laid out an apartment in one quarter of the building, built conventional walls and second story. Has a two-story living room, kitchen/dining area and small bath downstairs, bedrooms, balcony and bath upstairs. Skin is metal, doors metal covered. Once inside it is a conventional home, sheetrock, carpet, wiring, lighting, etc.

Should not be any problem as many early American homes were pole-built or post and beam.

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

That's interesting! He'd only have exterior windows on 2 sides, however, wouldn't he? Does he have any windows on the interior sides? Is the balcony OUTSIDE or inside the rest of the building?

Should be economical to heat considering he'd only have 2 exterior walls.....