Pole Barns

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by South of Forty, May 7, 2004.

1. South of Forty

South of Forty Active Member

Hey everyone. I have been looking at having a pole barn put up for me. I want to have it finished and ready to go and have a minimal amount of work to do on it myself. Should I go with one of the nationwide steel building companies ? How much can I expect to pay per square foot? I have been looking at one company called Morton which really has some good looking buildings, but their prices seem quite high.

2. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at one company called Morton which really has some good looking buildings, but their prices seem quite high.[/QUOTE]

I would go to 84 Lumber and get a price from them and get info. on who they use to construct them. There is a HUGE difference in pricing on these buildings so do your homework. National names don't always yield the best value.

Tim

Knoxville, TN

3. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I had a pole barn put up by someone else in 1999. The cost was around $12.50 / sq ft for the building. The utilities and interior finish work were extra.

I put my own structure up last year for around $6 / sq, including the materials for 10 foot sidewalls, a single 8' sliding door, a man door, water, electric, and a 10x10 stall. I purchase all of the materials through 84 lumber. They have standard plans (i.e 24x24). One word of caution: supply your own material list or at least double check theirs. I trusted their list and end up with extra metal trim and only 1/2 as many 2x4s as I needed. The metal was 'custom' order so I was stuck with it (fancied up the rabbit cages with it). The manager made good on the mistakes by selling me the 2x4s at his cost so it worked out about even.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A total metal building (4000 sq ft) on concrete footers and no floor was $5 per square foot including all labor exclusive of the footers which I dug. This was prior to the recent exculation in steel prices. When you get quotes ask what the building will weigh. This is a good indicator of its structure contents.

5. Morton is the top notch of building builders. Everyone seems happy with theirs.

--->Paul

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We had a barn put up by a local guy. It is a metal building but not pole type. It is a Mueller out of TX and we love it. Always need more room so wish we had made it bigger. We added our goat milk room and stalls on one side and have the 5th wheel set up on the other.

7. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Figure out the maximum square footage you could ever possibly use and double it. Then you will find that you really could use one more the same size.
    Kirk