1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
A few quotes from the article, which, unfortunately, did not include a response from their social media platforms.

"Any social media company that removes content or blocks accounts that do not violate Polish law can be fined under the new legislation, announced in a press conference on Thursday by Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro."

The victims of “ideological censorship” are unfairly quashed by social media platforms “just because they express views and refer to values that are unacceptable from the point of view of communities…with an ever-stronger influence on the functioning of social media,” the justice minister said.

·
Registered
36,849 Posts
Good. Why cant we do that here?
To keep this post from being political I will give you some names and you can look them up and associate them with the reason.

Ronald Klain
Eric Schmidt
Jared Cohen
Christopher Kirchhoff
Indra Nooyi
Jessica Hertz
Austin Lin
Erskine Bowles
Jeff Zients
Antony Blinken
Jay Carney
Tom Sullivan
Mark Schwartz
Divya Kumaraiah
Brandon Belford
Nicole Isaac
Will Fields
Clare Gallagher
Matt Olsen
Arthur Plews
Ted Dean

I could go on, and on, and on

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,733 Posts
The key to this is "Any social media company that removes content or blocks accounts that do not violate Polish law " Poland has insult laws on their books that they use to criminalize what we think of as free speech. You should look closely at the background before praising this as a step forward. They already use the laws they have to shut down what other countries would believe is free speech.

In other words, the idea of the law is good but the laws on the books can easily be used to win in court by the social media countries in many instances.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Things have changed in Poland due to forming a democracy.

The installation of democracy in Poland in 1990 was, for obvious reasons, the main reason for the introduction of freedom of expression and press in Poland. The freedom of speech was first written into Polish law in 1992 through the Little Constitution, the predecessor to today’s Polish Constitution, which was effective 1997. The Little Constitution declared Poland as a parliamentary system. This freedom of speech clause allowed Poles “to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.”[l]

As shown in the introduction, Poland is rated very highly for its free speech. It is not simply enough to have a right written into law; it must to upheld and practiced. If Poland writes that it country allows free speech, it must be prepared to hear and see speech it doesn’t like. If it only expects positive and supportive speech, Poland is aligning itself with beliefs of its communist days.

One of the most controversial laws Poland upholds is banning offenses towards religious feelings or sentiment. The law is most readily used against artists, who thrive under freedom of expression. The protection of the majority’s Catholic believes stemmed from censorship against its attempted press. Poland has no official religious, but its population is mostly homogeneously Catholic. Article 196 of the Penal code reads, “anyone found guilty of offending religious feelings through public calumny of an object or place of worship is liable to a fine, restriction of liberty or a maximum two year prison sentence.[m]

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The article is up to 2013, do you have other information?

·
Registered
36,849 Posts
That article is very dated and does not take into account the changes in the last couple of years as the Law and Justice party came into power.
As one who knows how you think, no one should be surprised that you support the squashing of dissent and true free expression.

You are predictable, and consistent.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As one who knows how you think, no one should be surprised that you support the squashing of dissent and true free expression.

Her attitude is understandable as the Polish government has weakened the liberal contingent and the EU push for more immigration.

Reactions: JeffreyD

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,733 Posts

Well you are wrong. I did not say I supported squashing of dissent. I pointed out that this new law does not really change the state of free speech in Poland as some might think it does.

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
Well you are wrong. I did not say I supported squashing of dissent. I pointed out that this new law does not really change the state of free speech in Poland as some might think it does.

Our views don't matter. It still is a good law. All countries should pass it to stop the social media from controlling what we see. Why do all those web sites bend to China but no one else? All they care about is money and promoting their views.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Insulting the President in Poland is a criminal offense. Three years in jail. Lots of HTs would have served time if they lived there.

Poland wide variety of insult laws and the criminal repercussions already stifle the free speech.
I guess Reagan was right about if you lose freedom here, you lose it everywhere. False hope, rather than new hope.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,733 Posts
I am all for free speech. I am hesitant though with any government being able to tell a business or group they must allow it on their property. It would be equivalent to forcing a church to allow someone to enter and yell during a service about how the religion is evil or such.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts