Poisonous plants

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Karenrbw, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a student that is keeping several goats in a wooded lot. He has asked about plants that are poisonous to goats. I warned him about yews, but really can't think of any others. He has specifically asked about wild cherry trees and walnuts. Do you know of any other plants that may harm his goats?

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Anything that flowers.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, any stone fruit trees(peach, cherry, plum......)the leaves are poisonous when wilted from a fallen branch, high wind or such. They should not be poisonous when dying naturally in the fall of the year. Black Walnut leaves are one of my herds favorite foods...........

4. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Aconite, Alder, Acrum, Azaleas, Anemone, Bracken, Beet Leaves, Black Nightshade, Broom, Butterbur, Buttercup, Buckthorn, Box, Byrony, Celandine, Charlock, Cupresses, Dafodil, Dogs Mercury, Deadly Nightshade, Ergot, Foxglove, Fools Parsely, Fungi, Ground Ivy, Gladiolus, Gourds, Hellebores, Hemlock, Holm Oak, Horsetail, Iris, Juniper, Knotgrass, Knotweed, Kingcup, Laburnum, Locoweed, Lords and Ladies, Lilac, Lupins (yellow), Marsh Mallow, Mangold Leaves, Milkweed, Mountain Laurel, Mulleins, Nightshades (all), Old Mans Beard, Poppy, Pennycress, Privet, Potato Tops, Pines, Ragwort, Rhododendron, Rhubarb Leaves, Rush, Spindle Berry (branches and leaves, Spurge Laurel, Thorn Apple, Tansey, Tomato Greenstuff, Tormenti Waterdrop Wort, Yellow Flag, Wild Cherry (wilted), Yew.

I was given a book entitled "Raising Meat Goats for Profit" a while back and this was the list that they had in the book. Very informative book by the way if anyone wants some good reading.

5. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Are you guys sure about the Privet? I didn't see it listed on any of my poisonous plants pages online and my goats eat mine all the time and a tons of it, especially during the winter. I think mine is a varigated privet.

Anyone have any fatalities from privet?

6. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Privet comes up on poison lists all the time, and our goats love it, so I spent some time searching.

It looks like there are several kinds of privet. The kind our goats like is called Chinese privet. It is all over the place here, more invasive than kudzu because the birds carry the seeds around everywhere and it can grow in partial shade. It has soft leaves.

Another kind has more glossy round leaves, and is not as common. We have a small patch of that, too, and our goats just taste it occasionally and move on. That's probably what's causing the confusion.

Could also be they are referring to the blossoms or the berries. I've never noticed whether our goats eat these, but usually the privet has to be up to small tree size before it blooms.

We also have lots of alder bushes growing around a pond that our goats like, but there are also several kinds of alders. Very confusing.

Nancy

7. TnChickenFarmer

TnChickenFarmer Member

I live on 20 acres and they've eat alot of privett and havent died yet..
    :walk:They've been eating privet for 3 years and tons of it.. :)

8. Delana

Delana New Member

I just wanted to add to the comments . I too have reaserched on the Privet issues. This is what I discovered. :
    1) There are MANY types of privet
    2)Posionous is used to describe anything from tummy ache to death
    so it is important to remember that the varying degrees
    I have a list somewhere that breaks down what certain plants do.
    Feel free to email me at Delana@blomand.net