Poisonous Plants

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dla, Mar 1, 2005.

1. dla

dla Well-Known Member

What kind of plants do i have to worry about? We have a pregnant dairy cow due later in the year so i want to make sure that all the bad stuff is out. thanks so much!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Cherry tree leaves are the biggest danger in my pasture. Prussic acid in forge crops are a danger also.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I've heard, cherry tree leaves that are still on the tree aren't a danger. However once cut, and they begin to dry, are poisinous. I could be wrong..

Jeff

4. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

If you have ornemental yew bushes (taxus ) in your landscaping those are deadly toxic , if she gets loose and chomps on those, and if you do have them and keep them clipped do not throw the clippings in with the cows , nor burn them where the cow can lick at the ashes as those retain the toxin .
    Mounten laurel is also toxic and i know some parts of maryland have those growing, by extention dont let her get at azaelas , and rhododendrens although , i dont think those are toxic , they are close related to mt laurel

wilted cherry leaves as some have already suggested

buttercups can also be toxic .. but cows have to be pretty darn hungry to eat them , and then in pretty large quantities

And plants , that are not toxic but can effect your milk with taste and oder , would be wild garlic ,wild onions , and believe it or not queen annes lace (wild carrot ) the mints ... peppermint ( my old highland holstein cross loves peppermint, and i can always tell when she has found a lush patch down in the pasture!

Paula

5. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Great, thanks so much everyone! Time to weed the pasture :)