Poisonous plants...need help quick!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sheeplady, May 5, 2004.

1. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

I already posted on the shep forum, but thought some of you gardeners could help too.
    We had a lamb born yesterday , about 10 pounds and full term, with gross abnormalities to the head, although the body appeared fine. It had one very large eye in center of forehead, no nose, no upper jaw bone and no roof in the mouth. The cranial area appeared misshapen and small and there was an appendage ( like a goats wattle) on the forehead above the single eye.
    It was dead at birth, which I'm guessing was due to the brain activity not functioning . The abnormality is called Cyclopia.
    I spoke to my vet and she said it is caused by ingesting a certain plant, Veratrum, commomly called Corn Lily or False Hellbore , during a critical 24 to 48 hour window of fetal developement. She thought it was only a western states plant. I live in New York State. I know exactly what pasture she was in for the first 6 weeks of her pregnancy so now need to know what to look for. Whats it look like? This was in November and early December. We did also supplement with some hay a few times there as well. The hay is cut right here as well.Help! I told her I wish the ewe had a second lamb, but she said they both would have been affected. Kate in NYS

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Go to Google.images and type in either name (spelling Hellebore correctly!) and some pix will come up. It would be more accurate to find the botanical name of the suspected plant.

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Here's a link with a clear picture of this plant known more commonly as scunk cabbage around here. corn Lily
    Here's a page with other links on it: HortiPlex database
    Also found this good picture: skunk cabbage in field
    Sorry it happened,
    Kathy

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

call ripley's they might buy that lamb.

5. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

As I said earlier, the lamb was stillborn. Even if it had lived. with the abnormalities of the jaw, it never could have eaten. Kate in NY