poison ivy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by romancemelisa, Sep 29, 2004.

1. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

back from texas, forgot to ask this earlier, i am highly allergic to poison ivy. after clearing the yard out from around the trailer this past week, i am now covered in the stuff, even on my dairy airre. anything to prevent it? i don't even want to get it, takes me for ever to get rid of it. i have now been itching for a month 3 weeks from red bugs and now this, had one day in between that was itch free.

2. Grandma's Cabin

Grandma's Cabin Well-Known Member

Jewel weed usually grows in the same general area as poison ivy. Crushed and smeared on the spots it's supposed to be excellent for stopping it.

Grandma

3. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

I know it sounds crazy....I had it bad on leggs.I tried bleach,oat meal,alcohol,hot showers.It still just about drove me to drinking.I put table salt on it and rubbed it in.Burnt like H*ll.But the itch went away,sometimes for all day.But it didn't dry it up too good.I had to go to Doctor and get MethylPREDNISolone tablets,USP. It's a script that you take 6 one day five the next,4 the next till you take 1 at the end of 6 days.It cured it but I still itched for about a month afterwards.But nothing like I had before taking them.Never tried Jewwel weed but I have heard a lot about it.Believe me ,if someone tell you they don't get it ....That BS.I never had it till I was 55.I know I walked through it several times .Thought I was one of them that it didn't bother. I got a small place and it went away after a month.Now I get it everytime I get close to it.Had it 3 times and the last was by far the worst.Hope I never get it again.Keep in mind if dog,cat,cattle get into it you rub them and you get it too.....

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're covered in it, it would be best to see the doc for a shot. Dries it up practically overnight.

White shoe polish (the liquid kind) will also dry it up quickly.

5. madmarchie

madmarchie Active Member

Ah yes Poison Ivy :) I never had it until this past couple weeks. It is clearing up well though without any treatment. You mentioned little red bugs. Those are chiggers! I think they're worse than the poison ivy. I got some in combo with the p.i. Ugh. Oh well. Jewel weed is good for pi. It is also know as "impatiens" which are a hardy common shade flower you can find at home depot or lowes nurseries. I did not know positively the first day what the vine was that I was chopping down with my machete but I suspected PI. I had to work about three days in the stuff and it's even in between my fingers as the oil soaked thru 2 pairs of gloves. My shower is far from the property so I had to let it sit on my skin while I drove home. Ah! With all this I just resigned that I had to get the work done BUT I did do a few things:

1) scrupulous about cleaning surfaces in car
    2) wash asap with burts bees pi soap
    3) wash asap and don't rewear work clothes after pi excursion and place in safe place until washing
    4) no touching pets or anything in house just wash asap

I think mine was pretty bad as my arms were all red and scaley with some big blisters and yes I did scratch it till it bled--that's mostly what's healing now. But never fear you can make it through. And just keep on with the calamine.

:) Megan

6. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have it that bad you need to get to the dr ASAP. It will get into your eyes and that is really bad.

I am one of those that could play in P. I. and not get it. Then after 45 I was cutting some down and next thing, I had P. I. Had to go to Dr. Now I get it if I am just near the stuff. Guess my immune system changed.

7. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

get this, yesterday, while talking to my son's stepmother, she said a old wives tale was to eat a leaf off of the plant and you won't get it, don't think i'll try that, her husband (my ex's) has it and the doctor gave him a rxs for silvadene. have been putting it on since yesterday. it is almost cleared up today. besides staying inside is there anyway to prevent it? i have almost 2 acres to clear and do not want to live with this for the next few months.

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Never get Poison Ivy or Poison Oak.

But one time, ' bout 15 or more years ago, I was cleaning some
    big vines, 3/4 in. thick, off a Friends house for them, in Spring,
    'cause I never get it.
    The sap was up, it was warm. I happened to drag a couple of
    those thick vines across my bare torso. They made welts
    swell up, about half an inch high.
    I went to the Doc, & he affirmed that was prob'ly the problem.
    Gave me an anti-histamine shot & cortisone cream.
    Gone in about 4 days.
    I haven't had it since then.

Lately, I was cleaning it off the big trees, I have in the woods here,
    thinking it would strangle them.
    Then I reads a *National Wildlife Federation Bulletin* that said
    "Poison Ivy is an important food source to many, many species
    of wild song birds."
    If it's out in the woods, where it won't bother
    anyone, you should leave it alone. The wild birds will eat
    the berries and spread it some more.Good food for them.
    Go figure, hunnh.

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

There is an over-the-counter product called Technu that can be used immediately after exposure to poison ivy to remove the oils from your skin. It works really well.

10. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

You poor thing! I'm really allergic, too -- lost about a month of work once because I couldn't even open and close my hands. I use Technu and it does help a lot, though it's not 100% protection. Still, if you do get PI, it's less severe. For me, the only thing that really clears up the rash is time: about 3 weeks. If you're blistered, it's important to prevent secondary bacterial infections.

11. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

You guys/girls are not going to beleive this.Just ran across it and had to post it for ya. :D

(qoute from the page:) The first step in immunizing yourself is to gather a young budding poison ivy leaf in the spring with a pair of tweezers, and eat it. Then, as the leaves grow, you will consume one leaf per day until you are “stuffing down” a mature leaf.

Also says later in the article you can get a shot from your doctor to prevent getting it.Never heard of that either.Anyway heres the link.
    http://wwmag.net/pivy.htm

12. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

DON'T DO IT!!! My mom says she remembers hearing that when she was young, and tried it. She says her mouth and throat got blistered all the way down and that it was absolutely horrible.

13. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I use a lotion called Ivy Block. It puts a light "finish" on your skin to keep the ivy residue from getting into your pores. If you know you have touched ivy, wipe your skin with rubbing alcohol wihin 30 minutes. Be careful when you remove your clothes and wash them in hot soapy water with bleach. If you are unable to prevent the breakout...call the doctor for a RX..otherwise you will itch for weeks! Also the shot is no longer available...FDA pulled it several years ago as they found it to be unsafe. Also beware...poison oak & ivy are "alive" even in the winter when it has no leaves..just touching the bark will get ya! :waa:

14. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Definitely think your system can change as I was one who never got PI until in my 50's--- DH was weedwacking it in the yard and it was blowing in the wind. Now I get it to where my eyes swell shut and have that charming gargoyle look for days. Don't forget other people can infect you...when DH is mowing he always comes in,strips and puts his clothes thru the wash cycle so I don't touch them accidently. And you can get it in early spring/late fall from the dried up plants/stems....didn't know I was into it while pruning grapevines last spring and had a dreadful case....dr. says if he knew how bad I was initially he'd have hospitalized me but I have to be way sick to spend money for docs!! Fels Naptha soap is am old time remedy for washing whenever you come in from working outside. Technu is of some help but bad cases really do need a Prednisone bust tx. DEE

15. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

take bendryl (or whatever antihistamine works best for you). you can also buy benadryl cream. It completely stops the itching for me.

I got a case about 35 years ago so bad my eyes swelled shut. In the 35 years since then, I've had two little spots between my fingers when gloves I've used had holes I didn't notice but that has been it. I learned to recognise it and stay far far away!

until this week :( my dad is helping me build a storage barn and we tore out a fencerow. he had pulled it out with a tractor and I didn't notice the poison ivy in it. once I saw the rash starting to develop, I looked in that area and the ground is covered with little pieces of the vine! I'm probably lucky it's not any worse than it is :( it doesn't bother my father.

wear leather gloves, cloth gloves are no good. I wear plastic surgeon gloves under the leather gloves. don't burn it! then the oils get in your lungs and I've read that can kill you. wash all your clothing plus your gloves and TOOLS immediately. I read once that oil on gloves can infect you a year later.

like I said, by learning what it looks like and wearing good gloves I've never had any problem with it. not paying attention got me though :( I've got a swollen welt the size of a large pancake on my leg and won't forget this any time soon! but the benadryl is keeping it from itching (as long as I don't wear chafing pants).

mel-

16. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

oops, forgot to mention that roundup will kill it. I hate to use any kind of pesticide but don't hesitate to use it on poison ivy or oak (which is what my dad says I have on my lot).

mel-

17. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

Let someone Experienced tell ya all about it....that's me. When I was 7 years old, my cousin & I rubbed it all over our bodies because we thought it was Lily of the Valley. I have been deathly allergic to it ever since. For 14 years straight I had to go on Predisone (steriod) because of the reactions. Couldn't even sign in @ the hospital because I was so swelled up.< the down side of Predisone is you gain weight,& I got very "foggy" in the brain.It was almost impossible to do bookeeping, which was part of my job>.The up side to it, is your body does not react to the P.I. infection. I get hives because of the P.I.-Predisone is the only thing that stops the cycle.....so let me tell ya what I know- -do Not take a hot shower. If you must shower , "pat" with luke warm water.Do not rub. Hot water opens the pores & spreads the oil over more of your body.Cut your nails <oil stays under them> I found Calamine was still the overall best thing to dry out the oil.Apply it often, always using a new wipe. I have sometimes put large bandages over sores, because they were in a bad spot - like waist band etc. * Wash all clothing & towels in hot soapy water with bleach. Put sheets on your furniture, do not sit on anything without protection. I once got P.I. from sitting on the cottage furniture, where the summer before I had left P.I. oil....go figure! * Do Not scratch, if you must do something - cover the sore with paper towel & Pinch. I know it sounds silly, but the pain is sometimes better than the constant itch.* A farmer told me to use bleach in a tub to dry out blisters...it worked a bit, but my skin became chaped.The itch returned, but for a different reason.* I would Never eat P.I. I heard of putting it in a capsule & eating them for a week . I would be too afraid of having a bad reaction to it. A neighbour @ the cottage stood by a bonfire while a crazy person threw it in. Had one whole side of him break out in P.I. blisters....Another went in the bushes for a tinkle & wiped with P.I. The blisters ended up where non should ever be - and they had problems for Years because of it.*When you see the blisters starting to dry or crust, you are Almost home free.It is at this time that you can be careless by scratching or something, that will give you an all new outbreak(I've done it).* I have not tried the over the counter stuff which apparently coats your skin, so the P.I. doesn't penetrate. But I would try it since you still have so much to clear. ( I hear goats & cattle can clear it away the best. I even heard the goats milk from a goat eating P.I. can make you more ammune to it, but I never tried that)* You have my sympathy. All I can say is I have been P.I. free for awhile....but only because we sold the cottage. I hate to think what will happen if we ever move to a real farm! :no: Good Luck

18. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

There is an over the counter product called Iverest that helps alot. I use Technu to scrub with when I think I got in some pi, but I ran out, and guess what? I never used to get pi either, but now all I have to do is get close to it

19. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Anybody who would recommend eating the stuff has never had the feeling of their throat closing up...
    My favorite remedy is Caladryll lotion (the pink kind, not the clear)
    Use it shamelessly and it will dry up the stuff short of a trip to the Doctor's.
    Benadryll cream can be rubbed in around the spot and it also seems to help.
    I do get poison ivy very severely, and have been on prednisone for it. I do not enjoy the prednisone at all, because it is mood altering and even going from 5 pills to four makes me feel like my head will explode (not to mention that I am so irritable that I wouldn't mind blowing everyone else up at the time... :no: )
    However, when it is near my face, eyes and mouth I have no choice.
    Trouble is that the oil produced by our friendly neighborhood vine does NOT lose its potency for at least a year after it has left the plant. This means on your shoes, gloves, jeans, dog's bedding, whatever.
    My suggestion is - when in doubt, spray with roundup until it is DEAD DEAD DEAD, and then wait til next year to pull.

I have tried to pull it all, and I have horrible scars on my arms and legs to show for it.
    On our last property we mowed everything we could, sprayed what we couldn't.
    Then I went around a year later in early spring with long bags on my arms (the kind newspapers come in are great) and pulled it out.
    Good luck, hope you are better soon...