Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by BARKINGOWL, Dec 6, 2006.

1. BARKINGOWL

BARKINGOWL Member

Does anyone know a home remedy for poison ivy?
    DH has it on his arms and stomach. Before we
    head to the doctor we want to try a home remedy.
    Thanks

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

A good soak in a tub of warm water with baking soda(1 whole box)always helps me when I get into that stuff.....

3. mdharris68

mdharris68 Well-Known Member

This is not exactly a "home" remedy, but it is the way to overcome poison ivy. It's called Zanfel or Zenfel, I can't find the tube. You can find it at big pharmacies. About 35$ an ounce but it works.

Our home remedy was to buy a bunch of milk goats, let them eat the poison ivy, drink thier milk, and slowly increase our immunities to poison ivy. Hope this helps.

4. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Someone else posted a little while ago that apple cider vinegar will relieve it and lessen the severity and length of it. After reading that, I used it on a rash I had and a fever blister - they dried up right away!

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I agree here. We've tried several natural remedies and some did lessen the aggrivation, but the Zanfel did the trick. Be sure to follow the directions exactly.

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

I have never been here before but have a great interest in alternitive stuff.
    For posion ivy we use a soap that contains Jewel weed. Man it is great. I was sent some seed from a wonderful lady ( ain't giving out names) on this forum so we could grow some. Have not grown any yet but we bought posion ivy soap at the auto supply hose and that is how I found out about jewel weed. Hope this helps
    Big Dave

7. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

Back home on the reservation, Grandma used to crush the sap from the center of the stem of the plant and apply that to the areas that had been irritated by the "poision". I've never seen it fail....but then again, she was a medicine woman, and I have NO CLUE how she got the sap out.....

She always said, though, that you had to offer tobacco to the plant, or iw wouldn't work.....

Other than that....try benadryll and some topical.....that's probably all that the doctor is going to do.....

8. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

had a freind in the army tell me when they went on movement and they knew they had layed and craled in poision ivy they would leave gallons of bleach in the showers scrub and bleach dries it out then they had hydrocortizone

i had a very bad case of it i got from my father in laws tractor seems he had been cutting poison ivy with the mower deck then i worked on the tractor and it spread from arm to leg (sitting on can resting arm on leg) i was desprate as it spread acrros my left thigh it got to the point i was unfolding 4 inch gauze to 8X8 squares while trying he doctors coares of action had it total a month i used rubbing alchohal and clean bandage twice a day it was the alchohal was clearing it up in a week (yes it hurts very much) but just pour it on the trat with hydrocotizone

phelps napperson soap ( i am sure i spelled it wrong ) is supposed to work
    according to an korean/vietnam vet i worked with also works for crabs he said (he sais an i belive him that it was from the bedding they had locals working and staying in thier barix he never let them launder his stuff after that or go near his bunk) but either way it t is supposed to work

9. VA Backwoodsman

VA Backwoodsman Active Member

GCP- Fels Naptha soap is what I use also, wash off after you are in contact with the plant. If the rash starts it will help dry the blisters up. It is sold in the laundry soap section of most supermarkets. Also keeps you from wanting to burn those clothes by getting the oil out of them, preventing a second contact. The DW is hyper allergic to the stuff ( actually has diffficulty breathing in less than 24 hrs.). The stuff works good as a shampoo for head lice also,(kids in public schools).

10. OzarkHmsteaders

OzarkHmsteaders HomesteadHopefuls

white shoe polish,with the sponge applicator It doesn't look very pretty on but it works great, dries it overnight.

11. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Member

I have used a tea tree ointment for poison ivy and it worked the best for me. Desert Essence is the stuff I used. I imagine you could use straight tea tree oil or mix it in a carrier oil.
    Olive Oyl