Poison Ivy treatment

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gonecountry, Mar 2, 2005.

1. gonecountry

gonecountry Member

Whats the best thing for treating poison ivy?? Possibly home remedies.

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Good old fashion lye soap...
    it dries that stuff right up.

Belinda

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

lye soap works great, but if you cant get to any right away, the alchol gel they sell for hand sanitizer, a few squirts of that applied to rash immediately stops itching, of course if youve itched it open it burns like nuts , but it does work
    cheap roll on deoderant works too

and of course, take an antihistimaine will help control soem of the itching, basicly though , face it , youve got the ivy for about a week and a half ....
    good luck , getting over a SERIOUS case i got when we were burning brush , yes ivy smoke can give it to you too, and in some of the most embarrasing areas...

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

the best is advoidance, however you asked for treatment.
    Home remedies are many and varied.
    Other than what has been posted - Jewel Weed helps some; Rhus toxicodendron
    preps in homeopathic tincture or pills also help some(most effective when the ivy is first noticed); washing/scrubbing with bleach;drying ointments/lotions; not reusing possibly affected clothing/garments again until cleaned; biofreeze gives about 4 hours of releaf; non script cortisone deravitative ointmnets help to a certain extent; and etc.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard that burning it is actually dangerous, since it gets into your lungs with the smoke.

The best thing I have found is called "Tecnu". You have to use it, though, as soon as you are exposed, or as soon as you start breaking out to keep it from getting worse.

Assuming you are past that point, my best advice is do not scratch it and do NOT run hot water on it. I once had a friend suggest hot water as something to draw out the histines. WRONG. What you will end up with is a much, much worse case as your already sensitized skin reacts to the heat on it. :waa:
    Keep it dry as much as possible. If it's on your hands, let someone else do the dishes for a week. When you shower, keep it warm, not hot, and pat dry with clean towel.

6. gonecountry

gonecountry Member

Thanks guys. My boyfriend is the one that is infected. He bought some new property and was cleaning off some brush and came in contact with it. Is it true that some people aren't effected by it?

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

it was unintentionally burnt , we didnt realize it was there .. :((

8. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Member

If you catch it early, chew up some plantain leaves and pack them on the affected area. This stops the itch cold, and starts to bring the welts down. You may avoid the rash altogether.
    Now, if he is well into this - treat it the same way to stop the itching. Then, plantain salve a couple times a day will also relieve the itch, although it will NOT dry it up.

9. AuntKitty

AuntKitty Well-Known Member

Not to brag or anything, but yes I am one of the people who are not affected by it. I have never intentionally rubbed it on my skin to test the theory, but I know I have been exposed and had some itching but no rash. I have always heard to use Fels Naptha soap and a very soft brush like a baby hair brush to scrub it with. If it does nothing else, it might satisfy the urge to scratch without tearing up the skin too much.

Good luck! Kitty

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Don't brag too loudly, Kitty ;) People who have never been sensitive before can build up a sensitivity to it. Hubby isn't particularly sensitive yet either for some perverse reason. I have a long article given to me by my Dr which basically says that there isn't much to help once you've got the rash. July/Aug 1988 Hippocrates magazine if anyone wants a long read that is mostly preventive info. Once you've got it, you're out of luck. If the case is severe, might want to get to a Dr for some prednisone. Not a home remedy but if it is severe, it really does offer a lot of relief (speaking from a long history of experience :rolleyes: ). The Tecnu and Ivy-block products are EXCELLENT but really don't help much once you've got the rash. If you suspect you've been in it, toss EVERYTHING (esp shoes) in the wash, then head to the shower ASAP! Soaps may actually be counter productive because it just pushes the oil around.

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If someone who is not sensitive to it gets in on their skin and then touches someone like me who is hypersensitive to it, that someone like me will get it. :rolleyes:

I got some on my hand while I was in the house for several weeks recovering from surgery. I suppose I got that from doing laundry for the boys who'd been out in it.

12. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Oak Bark Tea. Chop a few pieces of oak bark from the nearest oak tree. White oak seems to work best. Even firewood will yeild sufficient bark to make the tea. We put the bark in a pot with a gallon of water and boil for 30 minutes. Then let it cool. When cool it can be used directly on the rash, will not hurt you if you get it in your eyes. Let the mix set for 24 hours and then strain out the bark. Store the tea in a bottle, it will keep for a long time. Then use it when needed.

Just another note about burning the stuff. Do not ever get it internally, especially in the urinary tract. This is a real problem, trust me.

13. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Used to be bothered by PO to some extend, though I was never all that sensitive to it. But bothered enough I went to see the local doc who gave me the Rhus tox desensitization injections in the tush. That stimulated humoral antibodies that now binds with any antigen on the skin and blocks the allergy reaction. Required two injections about a month apart, but sure did the trick for me. No longer go through all the misery and itch.

bearkiller

14. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

I am completely unaffected by poison ivy. I have intentionally rubbed it on my skin, and have absolutely no reaction. My daughter, however, is severly allergic to it. If she comes into contact with it, we have to give her prednisone to treat the rash and swelling. I've declared war on PI here, using herbicide every summer to kill all I see. It's tough stuff, and every part of the plant, from root to leaftip, is poisonous.

15. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I used to be reactive to PO when younger, but now exposure to it does not make me break out into a rash or itch. My brother is extremely sensitive to it his whole life.
    I have used Chalomine lotion when I got the rash. Also good for other skin irritations such as sunburn. I don't know if Aloe Vera will work for PO rash, but it is good for sunburn.

16. fadefarm

fadefarm New Member

There is a product sold in most drug stores called Vansil, Zanfil or something like that. We have a tube of it in the house somewhere but as my wife isn't home right now, there is no way I will find it alone. It is very expensive, like $40-50 a tube but the itching stops immediately and the rash is gone by the next morning. This is the miracle cure we have all been waiting for. I have put it on my son and it has worked, my Uncle has also used it on both his legs with the same results. I haven't had a chance to use it yet (thank god) but it does work.

17. roncarla

roncarla Well-Known Member

Never, ever burn it. My dad inhaled the smoke when he was little and ended up in an oxygen tent.

Ron has tried Rhus Tox, Ivy Dry and everything else. He gets the most relief from steroid packs but doesn't want to take them anymore. Rhus Tox didn't dry it up but did help with itch relief and kept it from spreading. He is extremely allergic to it. I stay away from weeds because I'm allergic to everything and don't want to push my luck. :eek:

18. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

I have found that deoderant/antipesperant, preferably clear or gel, works much better for me,than store bought cures or even doctors persciptions.

19. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I suffered HORRIBLY with poison ivy in 2003. I did some research and found some stuff called Ivy Block. You put it on BEFORE you go out and it blocks the oils. Then there's this other stuff called Tecnu IVy Wash that you rub on your skin after you come in from the outdoors ( you can also use it on your clothes). I haven't had a breakout since. It was so bad that I had to go on methylprednisolone and couldn't even use my hands. My Doctor told me he was not going to prescribe that to me any more and told me to just stop going outside. After I did research I called my Doctor and told him I found this stuff that worked. They called me 2 months later asking for the names of those products because he wanted to start telling people about that instead of starting off with the prescriptions (he's not your common doctor).

The websites say that you can buy this stuff in stores, but I've never found them in the stores. Might be at wal-mart but I refuse to go in there so I just order online by the case.

This stuff also helps with poison oak, and sumace

Ivy Block - http://enviroderm.com/

Ivy Wash - http://tecnu.com/pro_tecnu.html

20. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yeah, I tried that Rhus Tox.... for a while and it did work well for the first 4 bottles. The 5th bottle didn't work so well, maybe a bad bottle or I had built up a tolerance? Don't know. Then I looked for poison ivy blockers and found the stuff I already posted and switched over to those 2 products.