poison in illinois

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Lady89, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Lady89

Lady89 Well-Known Member

Ok guys I need to call on you for some help. I am working on a post-apocalyptic story, in it a group is killed by poisoned food. I need it to be a fast acting poison. I was thinking amanita but I can’t find how fast acting it is. Anyone have any ideas for poison plants/ animals located in Illinois that have a mild enough flavor that someone could put it in food, without giving away the fact it is there.

2. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Death angels (mushroom)
    Deadly Nightshade (purple berries)
    Woody Nightshade (red berries) (more psychotropic)
    Holly (red berries)(psychotropic in low doses, lethal in high doses)
    Ergot (rye fungus, thought to be the cause of the Salem Witch Trials)(psychotropic in low doses, lethal in high doses)
    Poison Hemlock (looks like Queen Anne's Lace {aka wild carrot}. Caused the death of Socrates).

A few to help you ;)

Forcast and Lady89 like this.

3. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Castor bean

Lady89 and Riverdale like this.
  4. PrairieClover

PrairieClover Well-Known Member

http://q985online.com/10-poisonous-plants-you-need-to-avoid-in-illinois-this-summer/

This link has a couple plants listed that might help your writing.
    They used to say datura (jimsonweed) was poisonous. True, the mushrooms can do a wide range of nasty things before ultimately killing the ingestor. Some are cumulative, over a period of time they will eventually kill the person eating them.
    11 pounds of rhubarb leaves.
    Foxglove
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_absinthium The drink made from this plant has a very high alcohol content, higher than whiskey, so not necessarily a poison unless your subjects are all alcoholics.

5. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

You are pretty limited to mushrooms. Most others mentioned are bitter, hard to sneak in the required quantities. "Death caps" wouldn't likely grow there. Destroying angel very possibly could. Said to be bland, not good by itself. Death would be days later, liver and kidney failure. By the time you realize something is wrong, it's too late.https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2006/11/22/i-survived-the-destroying-angel/

In your writing, for accuracy, consider time of year. Don't know if drying would effect potency and not sure if it is a spring or fall mushroom, but I believe it is present all spring summer and fall.

Riverdale likes this.
  6. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) is not poisonous. It is edible, especially early spring. The first green out in the spring.

7. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

[QUOTE="PrairieClover, post: 7951033, member: 373301]
    11 pounds of rhubarb leaves.
    .[/QUOTE]

As Skip started working on his 8th pound, his glazed over eyes revealed a growing suspicion that something was not right about this salad.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Lady89 and PrairieClover like this.