Pocket change wood floor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Vera, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

One of the local lumber mills sells cut-offs for firewood, a tight 4x4x4 stack on a pallet for now $20 (used to be $15). When I bought some in the past, it was always rough-cut 1-by's and 2-by's. Well, about 2/3 of the last bundle I got turned out to be milled 2x6 tongue-and-groove! HA! This was one day after I was wracking my brain to figure out how I could ever afford to replace my carpet with wood :D

Soooo... in an ongoing project, doing a little bit at a time, I'm ripping up carpet and padding (YUCK!!!!!) and putting down a nice, solid, beautiful wood floor. Did 13x6 feet so far, with enough wood left to do another patch that size. That'll be 156 square feet for $13, which makes it 8 cents per square foot. Can you believe it??? And considering what a difference in insulation the 1-inch shiplap makes on the walls, I think 2 inches on the floor are going to make this house downright toasty, LOL!

Lady Luck must have a real soft spot for blind hens :)

2. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Fortune has smiled on you!!

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

oooh! Don't you just LOVE it!

Congratulations on the surprise blessing -- and kudos for knowing what to do when you found it!

Pony!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Vera, What lengths are most of the 2x6s? You need to hop on to as many of these skids as you can afford. They might not be there the next time you want some. Lots of other things you will figure out they would work for. Just don't forget to step up when you come into the room. Good luck. UNK

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the sawmill near me sells end run rough sawn plank (1" x 10" mostly) for 10 bucks a truckload you pick it.

on a good day you can pick a load of 4" longs all of hardwood. ive run some thru a surfacer and its pretty nice stuff.
    burns real nice too lol.
    after burning 20 trucklloads I have lots of ideas what to do with future loads.

now I got my kitchens hardwood black cherry from a dumpster, someone tore it all out of a house to put down carpet... go figure!

with a surfacer and some patience, yeah i bet the flooring will ook fantastic!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend who moved to an old farm house with nice oak floors. They had carpet put over it, and the installer glued it down. DUH

7. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Unk, the majority of the pieces are 2 feet long, with a few shorter ones thrown in. It'll take some glue-sawdust mix to fill in the cracks when the floor has settled, but it's SO worth the labor. I'm still gaga with happiness, LOL!
    The lumbermills around here process mostly pine and fir. Hardwoods come from elsewhere, I think. Also, it's not easy being in the right place at the right time to snatch up a bundle of their wood since logging has been slow going for a good while. A pickup load of firewood goes for $150 this winter and that's not even a full cord, so more people compete for the cheap cutoffs now. Since there was only one bundle with the T&G in it, I think that they milled some for somebody's building project and there won't be any more of it until somebody else puts in an order.

When I started unloading the truck and came across the first piece of T&G, I said, oh wow, lucky me, if I find 4 more of these purty things, I'll make a table top out of them! Hehehe. Little did I know. Oh, and anything 1x12 or 2x12 went into my construction pile for projects. I had to cut up a few from the last bundle for burning, and I tell you, it HURTS to burn wood that could be used to build or repair something. So many projects, so little cheap wood.

8. Senior

Senior Active Member

Vera, If you are planning on finishing that floor, mix the very sawdust with whatever you plan on finishing the floor with, most people use polyurethane. Mis it up as a paste an force it into the cracks, then sand it smooth after it dries. When you finish the floor nobody will ever be able to see where the cracks were. I do it all the time on custom cabinets and furniture and it works great. The sawdust and glue mix will not take a stain or finish, and can always be spotted.

Senior

9. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Thanks, Senior, that's good advice - I didn't know that the sawdust/glue mix won't take a finish!

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Yep, your house is gonna be "downright toasty" with the wood floors and wood walls. Our house is all wood: walls, ceiling, and floor. We used no sheetrock or carpeting anywheres in the house. Our heating bill for last month was only $160 and we had several days with lows of -35ºF that never got out of the minus digits.

One of the things we tried to get away from was the "all pine look." In other words, we didn't want our rooms looking like pine boxes. So, we painted some of the shiplap walls. You might want to consider painting your wood floors...it's a very southern cottage style thing to paint wood floors....at least, that's what I'm told.

11. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Under the crappy carpet, and underlayment in our old farmhouse is chestnut floors. Why or why did they do that? We are working on the easier floors, but there are some rooms that will be the devil to redo.

What would we fill the nailholes with. Would any wood sawdust be okay mixed with the polyurethane, instead of chestnut sawdust?

12. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Hi Senior

I was just wondering what if you took the saw dust before mixing it and soakin it in the stain stuff? Maybe that would give it the coloring for the wood project?