Poaching For Food?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

HI,I know in some parts of the country;ME,VT,NH,PA,etc.the limit on deer is very small,1 or 2 at the most,I would think some people have to aquire(poach is a bad word)deer and other game to feed their family,what do most of them use to harvest the animals?I've always been told .22 magnum is a very popular round for this,is this so?I don't see anything wrong with this,as long as you take what you need and thats it,I do have a big problem with people that poach for large racks.

2. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

poaching is against the law whether you think it is a bad word or not. In the eyes of the law - it is stealing. Let's see, you go out into the wood - if private it is trespassing, when you fire your gun, you have also broken the law. Now, we won't even to into the fact that you endanger everyone out in those woods - even if they are public game lands.

Why is this stealing any different than robbing a grocery store? After all, it is food.

3. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Poaching is illegal, and quite frankly i don't care how hungry your family is, i will turn you in faster than a new york second! There is a reason there is a limit on the game, its because dumbasses out there go and poach the deer, reducing the numbers down!

A novel idea is to go get a job and use the money to feed the family! If you can't tell i can't stand a thief!

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

in western pa, there are so many deer, 10's of 1000's die along the roads getting hit by cars.

Find a fresh one your lucky....

deer in the winter here often get thin, from lack of food. to many of them. they dont show up 2 or 3 at a time they pass but 15 or 18 at a time.

on your OWN LAND... I dont see it as poachng. a spotlight and a 22 will drop a deer like a log. at night with a light in their eyes they freeze, and at 50 feet, often much closer, aim between the shiney eyes.

if your hungry and there are that many deer, its a crime to consider it poaching.

turkey walk thru my yard in flocks.. if i am hungry... I'm whacking a fat turkey.

you really dont need to poach, just take your limit in season and there are pleanty of people who dont want the deer, they just want to kill something.

I dont hunt anymore, there is a farmer nearby and he and his sond all hunt, and they dont want the deer... the hunt to thin em out as they ruin their crops, so they take as many as they can get away with.. for some reaosn farmers get more tags here.

iin a pinch in when your hungry... shoot skin and shhhhhhhh.

5. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

No,I don't poach deer,would I if it meant having to feed my family,you betcha I would.You all think it would be better to take a handout from the Govt.,some nice cheese maybe?Do you ever speed,not come to a complete stop at a stop sign,your breaking the law.People do have jobs,sometimes they just don't make enough to provide the protien growing kids need.Have you looked at the price of meat lately?Some hunters are kind enough to contribute their excess harvest to programs set up to feed the hungry.There are some peole that just can't accept charity and have to do for themselves,I admire that,I admire people that take care of themselves and their own.The few deer taken this way are a very small portion of the heards out there.Again I'm not talking about some one wanting a large rack for the wall or someone killing a black bear so they can sell the paws and gall blader,I'm speaking about people doing for themselves.A while ago in England you'd be executed for poaching the king's deer,do you think that was right?

6. comfortablynumb

good comrade, ya das goot.

not really its to assure the dumbasses that cant shoot actually hit one.... in some areas deer are like pidgeons...

spat out like some one whos never been hungry or in need of a job?
    you are the public.. how can the public steal a public rescource?
    you have been conditioned to ask permission it take a wee wee so naturally, we have to ask permission it eat.

I bet you dont pick berries along the road or apples off the trees without written permission.. do you?

dont worry basic, a good poacher doesnt get caught, ther isnt enough game wardens to police all of us poor sheep.

if you turn in a starving man.... you suck.
    Just thought you might wanna know that. ;)

7. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, if it's on YOUR land you have the right to if you need to.

8. Cleancut

Cleancut Active Member

Kind of makes me sad I share the same state with some people. I can kill as many deer as possible with my car and it is OK, but shoot one when I'm hungry and I'll get sent to jail? Now I'll bite my tongue!

9. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Where I live 1 or 2 deer is a good addition to your freezer for the year, add to it squirrel, fish, rabbit, other animals that are IN SEASON and you have meat with no need to poach. I grew up in a family that hunts to live and lives to hunt. You mention poachers and they are all up in arms, because they remember when you couldn't hunt deer in MO for a few years because the numbers had been hunted so low. I don't know how if you had a lot of land you would ever need to poach off of it anyway. The number of farm tags issued is nuts here. Maybe your deer are smaller than our good ole MO big boys, but I still have dressed many 120 lb does and smaller that will give a fair amount of meat. The guns we hunt with are generally 30/30 and bigger. Also numb, you mentioned aiming between the eyes...to each their own, but that is a shot I would never take, or endorse. A good lung, heart shot will drop them. I inherited my families love of hunting, from deer to ducks we take only what we need from the land. And by the way, I'm a woman so I shoot it, dress it and cook it up. :D

10. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Ditto CN's post. Anybody ever read Robin Hood around here?

11. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

Lots of good points raised here. I've known many hunters who are sneaky and unethical but put on a good face for sake of the sport. Not for the value of consuming what they kill. But for the bragging rights. Respect is respect, respecting yourself and your family enough to be responsible to provide food instead of accepting charity is nothing to take lightly. And it sounds like Basic is considering an option that has arisen due to a serious situation. I'd do the same. So would many of you if you were faced with dire needs. Don't throw stones. No one is advocating being an outlaw. Good luck, Basic.
    Carolyn

12. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I buy a 40 dollar license to hunt every year. I do not hunt. I buy it to support conservation so others can hunt. Since many others do hunt, I have gotten from 3 to 9 deer every year for the last 15 years. I promise you if you ask a half dozen hunters to share their meat, you will have all the meat you need. Poaching is not only illegal, it may be in an area that does not have an excess of animals, therefore reducing the already small numbers. Hunting limits are there to protect the future of the animals and should be respected.

13. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

After reading the first two responses to my questions,I began to worry where peoples head were,then the rest of you responded and I started to feel much better,thanks.
    pyper7,thankyou but it's nothing that I'm considering in the near future but again would do without hesitation should the need ever arise.One of the reason for my question is we would like to move to another state and some of the states we'ed condider,ME,NH,VT and PA have a very small harvest limit.Nor would I ever consider snitching,dropping a dime(or quarter),rating out,throwing someone under the bus,etc on anyone that would do this.NJ doesn't have a whole lot of friendly people,farm land and forest but we do have a large number of deer and a very large bag limit.

14. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

During the early years of my first marriage we did poach deer to have meat on the table. (.22 by moonlight is the best way) My ex-husband was in college full time and we both worked when we could get hours. We never took any free government food even though we were in the bracket to do so. I know our local game warden knew we poached but he looked the other way because he knew we needed the meat. He often would call us to give us road kill. Yes, picked up road kill whenever we could. If it was to messed up we just ground it up. A deer or two does not go along way when you can't afford to buy meat at the store. We lived on what we grew in our garden and any wild game my ex shot. Once we were able to afford groceries we stopped poaching. Too many people in our counrty go to bed at night hungry and I wasn't going to be one of them. I don't see a thing wrong with it. We needed it, it was there, we ate it....

15. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

A .22 short works excellent for dispatching deer. It is very quiet & discreet. I generally don't bother shooting unless I can make a killing head shot. Average distance is 30 feet. The deer is immediately skinned and butchered. Usually its 3 hours and the freezer has its bounty of venison.

Deer are a public resource. In Wisconsin, they are "owned" by the Department of Natural Resources.

I used to deer hunt legally during the season. Frankly, there are too many kooks out there in the woods for my tastes. Deer hunting occasionally turns otherwise rational people into stark raving lunatics. Many may recall the tragedy last November in Wisconsin in which 6 deer hunters were murdered by another deer hunter.

The deer that I harvest are butchered by myself. The meat goes to my myself, my brother and my mother. In Wisconsin, venison is not available to the public. It is not for sale.

I do NOT harvest deer for economic means. There never has & likely never will be a shortage of food around my place. I do it because I enjoy deer meat. Period. The deer that are harvested on my property are just as dead and taste just as good (probably better) than the legally killed deer.

The average deer may provide 50# of meat. Hardly an economic windfall. But if you like venison, its priceless.

16. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Here in Maine, we only have the small deer, 80-110 pound are about all I have seen so far (not like the big ones that I always saw as a kid in California near Yosemite). Just saw a moose at the tag station last week at 900 pounds. I have got two beaver lodges on my land, expect to take a couple 50 pound beaver this winter from those lodges. I was looking at the fish and game website, they say that my township averages 51 deer per season and 5 moose each year, not bad for a township of 20 homes. Plus all those deer, I see hit by traffic.

I am thinking about collecting goats and sheep this next spring. I think I can support maybe about 30 of each on my little peice of forest land.

I hear gunshots about every weekend. So long as they are not on my land, I dont care. You shoot what is in your acreage, and I will shoot what is in mine, and neither of us needs tell the game-warden anything.

I shoot black-powder. I have shotguns, rifles and pistols. The rifles and one pistol are .45 caliber, so I can use the same set of bullet molds for both. I have a modern revolver (.38 special) just for traveling with.

17. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I can kill deer from Oct to the last day of Jan. I usually see dozens in one season. I usually take less than five BY CHOICE and have shot as many as 23 in one season and legal at that. I dont really think one or ten more would make a big difference. I had a real bad run once before being married and having kids for about a month and I pretty much ate fish I caught and squirrel I shot. Didnt have a fishing or hunting license at the time and the squirrel was not in season. When your really hungry do what you have to do and let the goody two shoes kiss your tail. One deer will go a long way feeding a family. Someone above said 50 pounds of meat isnt a windfall. It is if you have hungry kids. Would I condone going out spotlighting and poaching animals for fun and sport? NO WAY but if I knew someone who was hungry and didnt have any food for his family he could shoot the deer on my property with my gun and Id hold the light for him. I tend to think more highly of my fellow humans than a animal.

18. comfortablynumb

tineine, at very close ambush range, a head shot with a 22/22mag is a clean easy viable shot.
    not to mention, it makes a cleaner carcas to butcher, no internal dammage.

the point of using a 22 is its quiet. when you are close, a head shot is EASY.

when we have an outbreak of coons here, I bait them to a food dish 40 feet away under a light, and take them with headshots with a scope, with a 22 LR. its an easy shot... you do have to practice once in a while, and sight in the scope when you do.

if you have large rifle, sure... take a heart lung shot... but youll hear a large rifle, a 22 crack is hardly noticed in the bush.

for me... id rather headshot one 30ish feet away than blast a hole in its chest.

ever see one drop from a 22 in the head? sometimes they stop in mid chew and fall on their face.

if possible, aiming on a flat plane with the base of the skull will not only go thru the brainstem but break the neck at the skull. a neck shot, from a profile position is also a drop on the spot shot.
    when you skin em out study the anatomy of the head/neck... you dont eat the heads so take your intact head on your backyard range and use it as a practice target, take your best aimed shot and disect the head to see where that slug went.

its very educational.

solid point 22s stay intact, holow points shatter, hyper velocity slugs remain intact depending on what it hits, but you mught punch a hole right thru the skull, and out the other side and the deer stay UP! the slug type, the placement and experimenting on a head will show you things you didnt know or think of.

a subsonic 22 will hit harder, but not penitrate past the skull plate. this can result in a knocked out deer that CAN get back up and run.

it isnt as easy as shine shoot and eat... nothing is easy.

gotta think about it.. plan.. study... experiment.

there ARE better shots to take, but in a pinch, you might need to know how to be
    quiet
    clean
    quick

growing up all I had was a 22...I learned at close range, a 22 is a very effective round.

oh if you can headshot coons, they taste like chicken. they are fat tough little things, a heart chest shot wont stop them they run like a cat on fire.
    a coons head is different, aim for the inside of thier ear, like you want the slug to come out the other ear... takes their brain right out.

yes.. you absolutely need a good scope.

19. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

What about oppossums numb? What do they taste like? I shot one of them today, and actually considered for a minute what I could do with the meat. Then I decided I have been reading forums for too long, and might be becoming a little to frugal. :rolleyes:
    And before anyone mentions it the oppossum was shot because he has been going after our chickens, not just out of boredom. But it did add a little spice to my day... :baby04:

20. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

comfortablynumb,sir,thankyou.Would a solid in hi-vel or hyper-vel be the best way to go?