poachers are tickin me off

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by MELOC, Nov 26, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

one shot with a high powered rifle at 8:10 pm followed 5 minutes later by a truck spinning its wheels and speeding away can only mean one thing. i just want to catch them doing it someday...

2. tamarackreg

tamarackreg Well-Known Member

Wed. night 10:30 p.m. there was a shot very close to my house. I went out and looked around and listened but was too late. Late night and predawn shots are fairly common. Last year I found 2 decapitated bucks near my home shortly before firearm season, this year I found one (so far). Last year and the year before I could take you to over a dozen deer laying along the road with only their hindquarters removed, the rest left to spoil. All were within 3 miles of my house. This is the work of genuine lowlife scumbags. I too just want to catch them doing it someday.....
    It makes you wonder what else they would be capable of.

3. MELOC

it is just so discouraging when it is the night before firearms season. the shots were very close to my property and treestand but on the state. i also have heard shots after dark throughout the summer. i have lived here long enough to know what poaching shots are compared to target practice and when poaching occurs. as a result of the dozen plus incidents i heard throughout the fall, i have seen nothing but fawns on my hunts. i saw 20 fawns and no mature does during early muzzleloader season.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Makes it real nice when you move into an area and two of your neighbors tell you they poach,done it all their life and will continue to do it.Plus they both think that your property needs burned every year.

big rockpile

5. MELOC

i can understand someone taking a doe if they are starving or poor and have bad luck DURING hunting season. preseason antler poachers tick me off. so does being a hog and taking one every week of the fall.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

How about killing one a day.Same with Turkeys.

big rockpile

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

In this province we have a Poacher's Hotline.
    Carrying cell phones makes it handy to call in when any poaching action is suspected, with usually a good police or CO (conservation officer) response and apprehension rate. Poaching won't ever stop, but with programs that the public is aware to help curtail it, like the Hotline, it helps put the poacher with second thoughts if they know they are being 'watched'.

8. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

If the Bible is to be believed, God gave man dominion over the animals, after making man with none but God having dominion over them. Eventually some half-witted men decided to give other men dominion over them, and their personal lives, those men, so empowered, claimed the animals as their own; the "King's" deer or whatever, and now the states' deer or whatever.

There are those folks who exercise their "God given rights", those who exercise their "man given rights", and those who kill for the joy of killing. It is this latter group who are the most visable respresentatives of the hunting community.

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Man manages our deer herds so that they are able to flourish and not get over populated which would cause them to starve thru winter. The laws protects the does in the spring when they are needed to feed and raise the fawns, point restrictions benifit both the hunters and the deer as it allows bigger bucks to have more of a chance to better the gene pool, Taking some of the bucks out of the herd also allows the bucks a better chance at surviving rut and going into winter. Rut takes a big toll on the bucks, thinning some out helps the mature ones not have to spend so much time fighting for does, and they go thru winter in much better condition, it also takes some of the pressure off the does from having 20 bucks chasing her all over... With proper management the deer herds are maintained at levels suitable for the area. Poachers arent helping the herd, they are greedy people who give no thought to anything or anyone but themselves..
    I also do not think that those who kill for the joy are killing are the "most visable representatives of the hunting community. That would be like saying the rapists are the most visable representives of a certain community. Or that gangs represent a different community. There are way more legal hunters than there are poachers.
    Just because there are some who believe they are above the law doesnt make them the most visable representative. How about all the legal people who hunt? Heck go to a gun show, or hunting expo and youll see just how many hunters are there. Poachers come in all sizes, shapes and sexes.. Poaching IS a problem, and it takes all us legal hunters to help stop them.

10. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Amen to that statement! Years ago we had a problem with poachers on our property. The bums even shot one of our horses!

It was only after all the hunters in our area banded together were we able to stop the poaching. Many methods we used were illegal but they sure worked. Once the word gets out that poachers (and their vehicles) will be dealt with severly they will move on to an area where folks are either too stupid or too afraid to take the fight to them.

Poachers are scum IMO and deserve whatever stray bullet finds its way into their legs.

11. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Once upon a time there was a family known for heavy poaching in this area. One of them had a brand spankin new Ford pick up he was sooooo proud of.
    After he was overheard bragging about the big buck he poached from the wrong person's land, that pretty new truck didn't look so pretty anymore.
    And the driver had a new nick-name....... Ricochet. :p

12. dagwood

ROFL!! Funny how them stray bullets work huh? :p :p

13. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Growing up I knew a man had more kids than he could afford to feed. He knew how to, poach deer but not how to keep his wife from getting pregnant. He worked six days a week sometimes seven. I am pretty sure he and his family ate every deer he shot. I can't say I had a problem with that back then.

Poachers who don't need the meat and brag about the "buck they shot" aren't huinters. They are low life no good "deleted deleted deleted (by myself)" :flame:

A nice thing about a cell phone is that you can call while "driving by a suspicious truck parked by the side of the road". "I think they my be doing drugs or selling drugs". Hey it is just your opinion and you could be wrong but ..... Most cops will jump on that one while they may have something else to do rather than check out a poacher (that they may know). Always take a license plate number and save it. If you have some trouble the plate number mnay help you.

I'm sure that Ricochet is more careful where he hunts and how wide he opens his mouth.

14. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Growing up I knew a man had more kids than he could afford to feed. He knew how to, poach deer but not how to keep his wife from getting pregnant. He worked six days a week sometimes seven. I am pretty sure he and his family ate every deer he shot. I can't say I had a problem with that back then.

Poachers who don't need the meat and brag about the "buck they shot" aren't huinters. They are low life no good "deleted deleted deleted (by myself)" :flame:

A nice thing about a cell phone is that you can call while "driving by a suspicious truck parked by the side of the road". "I think they my be doing drugs or selling drugs". Hey it is just your opinion and you could be wrong but ..... Most cops will jump on that one while they may have something else to do rather than check out a poacher (that they may know). Always take a license plate number and save it. If you have some trouble the plate number mnay help you.

I'm sure that Ricochet is more careful where he hunts and how wide he opens his mouth.

15. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

There are those who believe birth control in any form is morally wrong; he sounds like he provided for his family the best he could.

16. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

its kinda funny, my house was finished being built in Oct. and the gun season opened a couple weeks after we moved in. we used to get strange trucks in the driveway that would just sit and stare at the new house. that gave me the clue it was good hunting here. one of the biggest deer I ever saw was out my back door. last year the neighbor found 8 gut piles on the back of his place. I have one neighbor who has already claimed to have run off a poacher on her place a week ago

17. dagwood

We have one fellow here in town who was thought to be a poacher. A little snooping soon proved that the only meat his family ate was venison. The guy simply could not afford to buy meat for his family.

He is the only one I allow to hunt on our farm year-long. Friends of mine have pitched in and the guy now finds nice chickens in crates on his doorstep, whole hams,pork loins,beef roasts,,,,,and for Christmas I make darn sure a big hunk of Prime Rib gets to his table too.... :) :) :)

18. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Haggis,

If you knew this fellow you would know it wasn't religion that prevented birth control. If it was religion I would certainly respect that.

Dogwood,

I think that is a wonderful thing to do. You and your friends certainly have warm spots in your hearts.

Reminds the rest of us that many people don't have it as well as we do.

NJ Rich

19. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thought I was the only one with a poacher issue. There were a couple of nice bucks hanging around the apple trees next to the house. Some road 'hunters', and I use the term hunter loosely, apparently thought they would get a head start on the season...blistered my ear drums after dark the night before gun opened. All of the bedrooms are on that side of the house...including where my girls sleep. There's no excuse for that kind of stupidity...it's just plain irresponsible.

LEO busted a van full of poachers in front of my house that year. Hoping they do they same this year.

20. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Check with your game and fish personell. See if they have one of those robotic deer. Or just a mounted one that they use to catch poachers. If they can set it up around your properties. They will figure out where and how. It will do an amazing job. If the poachers are that bad. It will make a big dent in that activity. And the game personell will be the ones to make the bust so no land owners will get fingered.