pneumonia

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i was just reading about the other post about pneumonia. i had a whether die jan.7th from pnumonia and the symptoms were totally different. his name was Cameron, and was a little buddy of mine at 2 years. he was a pygmy

day 1.
    I noticed that his chin was wet, as if he had just gotten a drink out of the water bucket. only his chin was wet, so i suspected it was from drinking. he ate normally and ran around and seemed quite fine.

day 2.
    there was a dramatic change from yesterday. he was slobbering continually, and standing with his head level to his backbone. he wouldnt eat. he was still able to run away from me, but i noticed he tended to hold his head to the right and kinda walk/run to the right. it seemed to startle him when he turned quickly to the left. i caught him and called the vet, and we took him in. he said pneumonia and gave me a shot to give him daily. i took him home and later when i went to check on him later, noticed it was really hard for him to walk strait, let alone turn to the left.

day 3
    he started the day able to walk, but really only in right hand circles. he stumbled often. he laid down by the gate, and i sat with him for a while. i tried to see if he would eat so i got some bread. it was now that i realized he could not function his mouth and had very little control over his eyes. i tried stuffing wet peices of bread into the back of his throught for him, but he couldnt swallow very well. when it started to get dark, i had to walk him into the shed by forcing him and pushin on his right side so he would go nearly strait. he stumbled alot. when it got dark my dad went back to the vet for another kind of shot (his last hope) and came back with a single syringe. from that i knew he wasnt gonna make it because the vet said if he did make it, then to come back and get another. my dad also picked up some eye drops because the eyes were no longer functioning at all. we gave the shot to him and i sat with him a while more. i left for the night because i had school tomorrow.

day 4.
    i went out to the shed at 7:00 to check on him and found him dead. i felt so bad, if i had went out to check on him when i got up at 6, i may have been able to say goodbye at least. i went back to bed and stayed ther. my dad was nice enuff to bury "Cami" for me. he knew i wouldnt have been able to do it

does that sound like normal pneumonia? i had never heard of the pneumonia infection spreading to an animals' brain before (the cause of the circles and of the eye/mouth disfunction) it came so fast; killing within 3 days......

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry that you lost your goat. I certainly believe that pneumonia would kill that quickly, but am surprised that pneumonia would cause the symptoms you describe. I am really answering only to bump this back up to the top, because I am hoping you'll hear from someone who knows these symptoms.
    mary

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

No I never have heard of phenomia doing that..I bet you anything it was listeriosis or something like that.

MotherClucker

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

It sounds like a neurological problem of some sort. He may have had pneumonia also, but the one-sided symptoms you describe and the eye trouble sound like a neuro problem. Things to consider would be some sort of toxin, or disease I am not familiar with, and I often think that we forget that animals can get cancer and tumours or have strokes like people do. I am sorry you lost him...Diane

5. Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook Member

Doesn't sound like pneumonia. It definitely sounds like all the classic symptoms of listeriosis to me...... Linda

6. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Also sounds like polio. I had polio symptoms in one of my goats that was very very similar.

I had another goat that walked sideways. Never found out what that was because the breeder that sold them to me lied about too much and we took the last living goat that I purchased from her and gave it to her and left. I didn't want my money back. She has to live with the fact of after selling us 5 goats, only that one we gave back was the only living one!

She had sold me sick goats and they were overloaded in cocci. My own original goats were also getting sick from them. She blamed me and said it was from my chickens. (my chicks are down wind from the goat barn and we change shoes between each animal area). After taking them back and getting everyone well again, we never had this problem again. To think she was a 4-H leader!
    :nono:

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

the vet said that the walking in a circle was from the infection spreading to his brain.... i had never heard of this before. what is listerocis? ( i have no idea how to spell that)