Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just bought another calf at the auction... i got him and another one at the same time, bigger one looks about one week but smaller one is tiny. the first few days he was great, sucking down the bottle with no trouble. looked like he got scours so started treating for it, scour pills and reasorb didn’t work so we moved onto spectrogaurd and reasorb but still has it. last night he didn’t finish the bottle all the way. this morning only drank a quarter of it. he’s super lethargic not wanting to get up but when he does he walks around for a minute before going down again, or trips on himself and falls down. i’m thinking i start treatment for pneumonia, shoot him with LA200 and give bounce back, but i wanted to get some input on anything else i should do. temp is 96.2. any ideas?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,888 Posts
How old was the calf? Did it get colostrum from the mom?

Unfortunately, many auction calves start out severely jinxed by not getting colostrum and then being exposed to a toxic soup of germs at the auction barn. Recovery runs about 50%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old was the calf? Did it get colostrum from the mom?

Unfortunately, so many auction calves start out severely jinxed by not getting colostrum and then being exposed to a toxic soup of germs at the auction barn.
this particular auction requires calf’s to already have colostrum before selling, although i don’t imagine there is a way to know they aren’t just saying that and they for sure got it. he couldn’t have been older than a few days either, he was probably the smallest one there. he was standing up and sucking on everyone’s fingers tho, and he was fine for the first week.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,888 Posts
Yeah, auction house germs, is what I was thinking. Give him whatever antibiotic you have handy. If you have some kaopectate, that will help the scours.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
The temp of 96.2 is quite low for a calf, isn't it? I'm uncertain what that indicates, but normal is about 101-102, I believe. I've not ever had to treat a very young calf for pneumonia, but I think I would be asking my vet for a dose of something with a little more oomph than LA200. Here's an article on calf pneumonia; hope this helps: Treat Calf Pneumonia Early | Grainews

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
just bought another calf at the auction... i got him and another one at the same time, bigger one looks about one week but smaller one is tiny. the first few days he was great, sucking down the bottle with no trouble. looked like he got scours so started treating for it, scour pills and reasorb didn’t work so we moved onto spectrogaurd and reasorb but still has it. last night he didn’t finish the bottle all the way. this morning only drank a quarter of it. he’s super lethargic not wanting to get up but when he does he walks around for a minute before going down again, or trips on himself and falls down. i’m thinking i start treatment for pneumonia, shoot him with LA200 and give bounce back, but i wanted to get some input on anything else i should do. temp is 96.2. any ideas?
If that is his temp, he’s not going to make it without quick intervention. Warming him up before feeding anything by mouth is crucial!! Have the vet show you how to do subq fluids! It saved my calf this year and super easy to use.

Get his temperature up. Should be 101-102. Or check your thermometer again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts