Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MaryF, Nov 6, 2005.

1. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

Looks like lots of pneumonia is going around.

WE have it too. Two calves did not look good at all this morning. Checked temp and lisened to lungs. Temp was 107.5 and 106.8 and the lungs had a little rattle but not too bad.

Started with Excenel for the pneumonia and dummy me did not have anything for the feaver.

Ran over to the market and picked up some aspirin (250mg) and gave each calf 2 crushed tabs in a paste. This brought down the feaver to 103.5 for the one that was 107.5 and 104 for the one that was 106.8 (she is about 100lb more than the other)

It has been 6 hr since i gave the aspirin. The feavers seem to be starting to climb again. Anyone know what the dosage time is for using "Human" aspirin on cattle? Everything I found says 12hr and it has only been 6.

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Nuflor, the stuff works wonders.

Jeff

4. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

We waited the 12 hr before giving the second dose of aspirin. The smaller calf has a normal temp this morning but will continue the Excenel for the next two days. The older calf, still had a temp of 104.8 this morning. I will call the vet to send a script over to the vet supply for some Banamine when they open. I will also talk with him about the Nuflor. Sounds like something I should have in the cabinet!!!

You can really hear the congestion in the lungs of the older calf. She does not appear to be having a very difficult time breathing (Thank God). It was a good thing I had the Excenel on hand and started treatment quickly. Can only imagine if I had to wait until today to get the meds started what would have happened.

I wonder if the moderator would consider putting a sticky note on the forum of stuff folks should have on hand in way of meds/vet supplies. I am new to all this and we have been working on getting a cabinet all stocked for situations like this one. When we first got our cattle, we had no cabinet and had a cow get milk fever after calving. Murphy's Law... Happened on a weekend and had to have the vet out $$$. We now have a lot of stuff in the cabinet but still find there are things we don’t have i.e. Banamine. I know a list of stuff would have really helped when we first got started.

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Corabelle spiked a horrendous temp after her 1st round of vaccinations (106) when she was a young thing. The vet said to give her some but (I had it on hand from when we dehorned her). It helped bring the temp down.