Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wrapping two separate topics into one post:

1. Pneumonia: I sold a year old wether to some folks who came to watch the slaughter at our place. We hire a mobile slaughter guy to do it on site. When he pulled out the lungs, he said they looked funny, and the buyer, who had worked in the meat processing industry in Napal, said it looked like pneumonia. Now, this wether was never symptomatic to my knowledge, no coughing, sneezing, snot, etc. In fact, I had used him for training my stock dog, not often but he would be exerting himself and I did not see that he had any trouble. How do you know if a sheep has pneumonia if it isn't exhibiting signs?!

2. Pink eye: One here, one there, thought they had stickers in their eyes. They rome 35 acres of pasture, not housed in close confinement. My Kat ram had been squinting and then I saw the discharge on the cheek and opaque cornea so started treating it; that cleared but now the other eye has it. Using Terramycin and seems to help. Now I see a couple of other sheep squinting. I read you could use LA200 or Tylan and inject them for it - agreed? I'm going to be going through my supply of Terramycin quickly but have these others on hand. Pros/Cons?

So, I have a 6 mo wether lamb who has never been thrifty and his twin died of white muscle disease. I have injected him with BoSe and wormed him two times to see if he'd start gaining better, but I'm not seeing any positive results. Might he have a silent pneumonia and how can I tell? I do have a stethescope so what am I listening for?

We are in an arid, very hot part of the California central valley and their living conditions are dry, no standing manure/pee, with lots of open space, so it seems strange to me that to have these problems and I don't like that the lungs of my slaughtered wether looked bad from a sales perspective as well, appears that I sold them a sick animal. Not sure what else I can do :-(

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Ok, don't sweat the hard stuff. Pnuemonia can be "silent" in that you would never know that the animal has/had it. They will be healthy, in good condition and showing no outward signs at all. Don't worry about it. The last cattle I sent to the works, the kill sheet came back saying that two had signs of pnuemonia. They had never shown any sign of it, were in excellent condition and I got premium grade for them.

Pink Eye: Sounds as though you are living in dry, dusty conditions and are having an outbreak of it in which case up to half your flock could be involved. I'm not going to go into the whole thing regarding Pink Eye but Terramycin is a good topical treatment and suggest talking to your vet about AB's as an alternative, and how to deal with it. Try and give your sheep shade too.

White Muscle Disease: Definately talk to your vet about this. Selenium and Vit.E injections are valuable in treatment but as selenium is highly poisonous to sheep that don't have a deficiency, you really need to know what your dealing with.

Good luck - and keep your purchasers out of the way in the future:D

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as the pink eye goes, I was told by an old shepherd to use Penicillin G. Draw some up in a syringe and coat the infected eye making sure the entire eye is coated and do that several times a day. I did do that and the eye cleared up in a few days. A bottle of Penicillin G will go a long way.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
As far as the pink eye goes, I was told by an old shepherd to use Penicillin G. Draw some up in a syringe and coat the infected eye making sure the entire eye is coated and do that several times a day. I did do that and the eye cleared up in a few days. A bottle of Penicillin G will go a long way.
Make sure you take the needle off the syringe if you go this route first.
Draw the antibiotic, then take the needle off... then put on eye.
One jerk and your sheep could loose and eyeball, if you leave the needle on.

I have had just as much luck with a normal shot of LA 200 or Bio Mycin 200... they are the same thing, the later is non stinging.
They are a long lasting antibiotic, so there is a good chance, you will only need one shot to clear up the pink eye.
As long as the pink eye is still fairly mild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts