Plywood lap siding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by whistler, Jan 9, 2007.

1. whistler

whistler Well-Known Member

I am looking at getting a bunch of salvage 5/8" plywood of large but irregular sizes and and thinking about how to put it to good use.

I need to build a shed/small garage and am thinking that I could rip the plywood into 12" or 16" wide strips and then install horizontally with a 6" or 8" overlap. With a really good paint job I think this should hold up.

Anybody done anything like this? How did it work or not work?

Whistler

2. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

If it's exterior grade it should do very well. You could probably stain it and have it last. I've made out buildings out of plywood and they last almost forever if treated.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

Seems like an excessive amount of overlap to me.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

5. whistler

I suppose. I could probably go with a 6" of over lap and a 16" board. I just don't want each course to have a cup in it because there is too little overlap.

Whistler

6. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

2 inch overlap is twice as much as really needed. heaven forbid wasting all that material up under the other piece.

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Id also guess two inches to be plenty of over lap.
    Just thought id mention caulking. If you can keep the water off/out of the edges it should last a good long while.

You are talking plywood and not OSB board right? OSB (chip board) will not last long no matter what you do to it.

8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are concerned about a "cup" don't go so wide with your boards---maybe 8 or 10" or if you want the 16 wide being you are going to be ripping---then rip you a strip 5/16 or so thick out of a board to use horizontal behind the plywood----nail it 1/2 way the height of the lap siding---where you will be able to nail the siding in the middle of its height. Randy

9. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I think you will find that an 8" rip with a 1-1/2" overlap will work real well and look normal. Large overlaps are a waste and big pieces of siding will look a bit odd. Good luck, it's sounds like a worth use of scrap material.

10. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I have several sheds sided with OSB, and they are several years old, and still doing great. One was coated with linseed oil, and the others with old paint I found that was free.

11. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Actually, you would be amazed at how well OSB holds up when it's used as "siding". When you get out in the bush in Alaska there seems to be two choices, logs and chipboard. I have seen buildings that were covered with OSB fifteen years ago and they still are doing OK. They may not be pretty, but they aren't a rotted mess either.

12. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Osb is on our house and looks new after 4 yrs. It was painted with a good grade oil paint and once since it was put on. Even with the plywood I would use a good oil base paint to paint it. Good luck. Sam

13. whistler

thanks for all the helpful replies. i think i will take the advice given and rip the plywood much narrower and have a 1-2 inch overlap.

whistler