Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will beehives made of plywood cause problems for the bees? Of course any "treated" plywood would, but I know that all plywood has some chemicals in it.

Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I don't know that treated plywood actually would cause problems for the bees.

None the less, I've got some older boxes that were made from plywood. They came with some other equipment. They had not faired well and had weathered quite poorly.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
I've never used any but to be honest, the only issues I can think of would be- How well would they weather? Because of the uneven texture, I would expect heavier than normal propolis. Don't know that either issue would cause me to reject them.....Beekeeps tend to be fairly tight fisted and resourceful.....Any wood that is readily available (cheap) and if you have the knowledge, skills and abilities have at it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've built boxes from scrap plywood (I wouldn't buy it just to build boxes) with no ill effects that I could see. I buy plywood for lids and bottoms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've only used it for summer-time nuc boxes, but not for hive bodies. I've been told not to use it because of the glue used, but the glue is dry and not exposed. I haven't noticed any problems with it for the nucs. :icecream:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts