Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we finally got the plywood floor done that covers the living room, dinning, and kitchen ( about 1100 sq ft). It was a long road but we are supper happy with the rustic look and feel, the price isn't bad either. haha. Here is a pic before we put rooms back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bubbas Boy, I don't know the story of your floor, if there has been one posted. The photos look great, and to my eye, it looks like there are individual boards there? It looks more like a regular type hardwood floor, but your subject line makes me think it's plywood? Can we have some details, or maybe you have a link to instructions or such? Thanks,

PCP

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, instructions. Just got an idea from this site and went for it. We took 1/2 inch plywood and ripped each sheet into little less than 8 inch strips. Sanded, stained, and poly. Laid felt paper and then nailed with a headed nail. started with a finish nail but wife wanted to see the nail heads. haha. It was a lot of steps and time, especially since we have limited space with no garage yet and it has nailed a lot this fall. We got there though!

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
BB, Did you use ring shank nails? I really like the look of your floor. What do you figure it cost you per sq. ft?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is just cheap pine. There are plenty of imperfections but it is just what we wanted. Yes I did use ring shank and tried very hard with good success to nail in the joists which are on 16 inch centers. I think we have figured it cost us around .62 cents a sq ft. That includes wood, stain, poly, nails and sandpaper. I already had good blades on table saw and miter saw. That includes everything but our labor which was A LOT!! haha

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Beautiful! How did it look before the poly? We've been tossing around the idea of pine flooring with an oil finish. Between kids and dogs there's no chance of the floor not getting dinged all to heck, so we think we'll just roll with that and go for that look. We were thinking of either something like yours or using rough cut pine from the local sawmill. Either way, we didn't want the poly so I was curious as to how you thought it looked before the poly.

Long winded, sorry.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We kicked around the idea of no poly, mainly because we were sick of all the steps. haha. It looked good without. We too have lots of kiddos and couple of dogs so the rough from the start look was perfect. I just wanted it to be more protected from the spills and shoes. We are hoping the shine calms down over time! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Amazing job. Thanks for posting the pictures. The Amish man who built our home laid half inch hickory, cabinet grade plywood over strand board four the floor of the house before we bought it. It's beautiful but he ruined it by putting down coat after coat of linseed oil on it. We have tried everything and the linseed has effectively put a seal coat on it. It won't take stain no matter what we do.

We have been kicking around ideas of what to do with the floor for the past several years and in the mean time have just left it as is.

This is a great idea and would add extra support for the floor also.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Love the floor and the whole industrial chic look you have going on! Is that an old laundry sink being used in your kitchen?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts