Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so excited about spinning the alpaca silk I did not weigh it before I started. I was just going to weight what is left over. (I bought 5.3 oz) and is it possible to ply it from a center pull yarn ball?

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
I almost exclusively ply from a center pull ball, it's the way I learned and my favorite way to make a 2-ply yarn.

Have fun and don't forget to post photos :)

Reactions: Kasota and Pearl B

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Another option would be to Navajo ply. You end up with essentially a three ply yarn, but since it's sorta like chain plying a single strand (which is what Navajo ply is) you start at one end and just keep going til you get to the other. Also, since it all fit on one bobbin, it will still fit on one bobbin when you get to the other end. Oh, well, is it spun on a wheel or a spindle? Well, either way, one bobbin to bobbin or one spindle to spindle full will be the same either way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but I was wondering if it will get too thick. I want to make a shaw with lace weight. I love navajo plying though.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Naura do you know how to test a single while you are spinning to see how different plys will effect the finished yarn? While you are spinning, your single is still on the bobbin, you can pull a length of single back out of the orifice and either double or triple the single back onto itself. Allow it to twist together, smooth it out and see what you think. If you like it you can knot both ends and tie it to your wheel so you will have a sample to use to compare what you are spinning.

Reactions: Kasota

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Lol Kasota! I started spinning in 1994 while I was going through my divorce. It was very relaxing.

Reactions: Kasota

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup I do know how to do it but I am also a not so consistent spinner:( I just started wrapping my yarn on a PVC nostepine

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
It may help you to get more consitant to hang A sample on your wheels to refer back to. Just keep watching you drafting triangle and work on the control of the fibers entering and leaving that area. You will get the, lots of practice is what is needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts