Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lots and lots of italian plums. i have access. i have googled my plum-buns off and cannot find what i need. maybe someone can help me. i DO NOT can..yet. i'd like to do plum butter or freezer plum jam. since i got LOADS of plums available and have limited time, can i flash freeze, bag and use later for butter/freezer jam? would the water content after freezing alter the texture? has anyone done this? i would so moose-appreciate any help with this. i'd hate to see these beautiful plums go to waste. many moose-thanks~ML

·
Registered
415 Posts
You should be able to freeze now and make them into butter later. The freezing will probably make them lose some water, which is good for butter making since you cook it down to thicken it. Plums are also good dried or pureed and then turned into fruit leather.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You can also make some plum sauce or chutney (both are fantastic with roast pork) and just keep it in the fridge instead of canning. You could probably freeze it too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm working on (Wild American - the little ones) plums today. I'm doing some leather and butter. I've frozen the butter before and it tends to separate some, but I'm thinking if you simmer it down enough before bagginf or jarring and freezing, it won't separate much. If it does separate upon thawing, just stir back together before using it. I did freeze whole plums one year, and made butter later, but wasn't real happy - I think the pits left in for that time made the finished product a little bitter. That was the only reason I could come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts