plumbing question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jamo, Mar 17, 2004.

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Is there a difference in either size or type of drain for a toilet or tub. We will be remodeling soon and I would like to be able (if possible) to put the toilet where the tub is now. Thanks for the info, Jan

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Chances are, if the construction is somewhat modern, that the main sewer line is 4". Many toilet lines are 4". Tubs are smaller, like 1-1/2" or 2". To switch places, you will need to replace the fittings on the main line. The main line could be iron. Some older construction could have the p-trap under the tub setting in the dirt and assembled with some sweated lead. I've seen the tub p-trap in dirt in houses built between the 30's and early 50's. If the main is plastic it will be fairly easy. If its iron, you'll have to rent or buy a tool to break the main line. Since the pipe pieces fit inside one another, and it was assembled from the bottom up, when you cut it, you won't be able to re-assemble it without a rubber splice. This is a tubular piece of rubber with a hose clamp on each end. You can find pretty good directions for this sort of work in a basic plumbing booklet.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jamo, If you are not on a city sewer you very likely have a septic tank. The stool water goes into the septic tank through a larger pipe than the tub has hooked to it. The tub should bypass the septic tank. That means new pipe would have to be hooked in to the existing system for both the stool and the tub. Using PVC (plastic) pipe to do this doesn't require any special tools and is not really difficult if there is plenty of space to move around under the floor where the new pipes will go in..

12 mile

4. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Thanks, I guess the toilet stay right where it is :waa: