Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two weeks there's been a bit of water at bottom of hill where my septic drains.
Plumbing/septic installed 4 years ago. Plumber didn't respond last time I had a problem and so far this time neither.

Anyhow I'm often not home, but last night I hear the faint sound of water running. In the "plumbing room" the cold water line from the street into the HW tank is extra cold, and there's sound at HW tank top, then seems water draining into the 4" pipe leading to out the septic.

I turned the lever off for the HW tank, hoping that's ok.

Any idea what to look for? Doh!
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update... When turning off the water to tank, the copper line in (I gather!) got hot in a second, so I turned water back on to tank, and turned the tank off at the fuse panel.

So will turn water off at tank before I go out, but once it cools off in case of melt down. I don't know anything about HW tanks, don't want to risk it.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Can you get to the 4" line to check it for temperature? If you're hearing water running into the water heater, it sounds like a leak in a hot water line to a fixture. If checking the 4" drain shows a colder temp, check to make sure none of the toilets are not shutting off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts