plumbing code advice needed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by leaping leon, Aug 2, 2005.

1. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

We finally!!! got our mobile home delivered; I'm responsible for putting in the water line to, and the drain line from, the m.h.

Our county has a nasty permit department (this is well known in our part of the state, they're infamous). They use the 1994 plumbing code. I passed an open book test to get a permit to do the installation. The permit department will come inspect before we can get the power turned on.

The well is 20' from the m.h. and we want to be able to drive over the area the water line will be installed. I'm thinking of using 1 1/2" metal pipe from the pump to the m.h. Will burying it about a foot be deep enough? I'm not going to tell the inspector that we will be driving over it because I don't need more grief from them...(by the way, the contractor changed the well location without discussing it with me.... :grit: ) I am also considering putting a concrete pad over it, or I could use concrete footers? (After the inspection.) The heaviest thing we have is a big van.

I plan to use 1" pvc from the metal pipe to the hookup under the m.h., which is about 40' from the nearest corner to the well (1' is o.k. for the code for our m.h., I checked) Do I need to bury the pipe under the mobile home? I would like to use plastic hangers and hang it under the edge of the mobile home. (This is north Florida, so freezing is a minor concern, and I would use insulation on the pipe anyway.) Besides the difficulty of burying pipe under the m.h. for 40', I'm also a little uncomfortable with having a pipe that MIGHT leak someday buried next to the concrete blocks that support the m.h.

Also I want to use hangers to drop the level of the drain pipe under the m.h. until it's close to ground level where it comes out from under the m.h. The drain pipe comes through the floor about 20 feet from where it comes out from under the m.h., and the m.h. is about 3 feet off the ground. I'm thinking I need to use - I don't know what they're called, but those concrete blocks that have grooves in them to support pipes - beginning where the pipe gets close to the ground. The books I'm using only address the need to support the pipe every few feet (I don't remember how many feet between supports, but I'll look it up again.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

In my part of Minnesota, you need to go 6' deep for water pipe, so it never is an issue. Those minus 20 & 30 temps can get the frost line 4 feet deep easy, deeper in extreme cold snaps.

Guess that's no help to you, but be happy you only need to deal with inspectors, and not tundra. :)

--->Paul

3. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

leaping leon,

Put the length of pipe that goes under the driveway in a sleeve. Take a 3 or 4 inch PVC schedule 80 or heavier pipe and slide it over your water pipe. The water pipe is protected and the larger pipe will take the weight of the van. This is common practice and is probably covered in the book that you used for your "open book" test. If not discuss this with the inspector. In my experience with inspectors, you will be further ahead to ask the inspector for his recommendation and let him dazzle you with his knowledge. Just make sure it is not covered in the plumbing code book before you ask.

4. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

your inspection is going to dictate how deep the trench is. call the building department and ask how deep is the min. for buried water pipe, and also what size and type of pipe is acceptable. You CANNOT always follow the national code, local codes trump the stuff in your book. best to do it the way they want it the first time.
    The inspector is going to want to see the pipe in the trench before you backfill, so a sleeve will work but he may ask why it is there. be prepared with good answers